Chapter 19.5

Sabo

With narrowed eyes, a deep frown and folded arms, Nami stared down at the groveling male intruder who repeated over and over again how sorry he was to have startled her.

Luffy was laughing in the background like a madman.

"So you're Sabo."

Sabo made eye contact and came to observe the disappearing cold chill in the air. What he had done, now thinking about it, was stupid. Anyone would have been upset but he was tired of waiting around and was getting a tad hungry so he broke in. More like picked the lock but he still broke in unannounced. All he wanted to do was surprise his sworn brother but didn't initially expect to be greeted by the wife.

"You've heard about me?"

"Yeah. Luffy talks about you sometimes."

That made Sabo happy. He turned to his brother and said,"Luffy. Stop the laughing fest and get over here."

Luffy grinned wide and walked over and was wrapped up in a big bear hug.

"I deserved that, huh?"

'Shishishishi' "Yeah."

Sabo had his eyes shut tight while tears fought to surface and he wore a crooked smile. How many months had it been since he was deployed? He even missed Luffy's wedding which sucked but what mattered was that he was here now. Together they could do whatever Luffy wanted. He owed him that. After all, he was Luffy's most favourite person in the world.

...Right?

His eyes broke open as his nostrils became filled with the scent of Luffy's cologne- courtesy of Sanji. It smelled great. Kinda like sandalwood and other things. But more importantly- Sabo pulled away and looked at his brother from head to toe.

"Were you always this good looking?'

"...I don't know."

"What are you wearing?"

Luffy cocked a brow at his brother's weird questioning. "A shirt and jeans."

Yeah. Sure. But the button-up shirt was fire on him. The fit and colour was ideal. And those jeans? They looked tailored. Sabo couldn't recall Luffy being this stylish. He was a simple man and the same could've been said about his initial fashion sense.

The blond turned around but stopped himself and whispered,"Dude, does your wife dress you?"

"No. I dress myself."

"What I mean is: Does she buy your clothes?"

"Sometimes."

Nami caught the quick look the intruder sent her way. She didn't quite catch on to what was being said but with the help of Luffy's big mouth, it had something to do with his choice of attire.

"Does it look bad?" Luffy thought he looked cool and Sabo was quick to respond, brushing a few raven strands from his brother's face.

"No- On a different note, aren't you excited to see me? It's been forever."

Luffy's poor reaction to his arrival wasn't what he bargained for. Where were the tears? The enthusiasm? It was so unlike him.

"I am. It's great to see you back but I wish that you'd have called first."

Sabo's spirit sank. Operation Surprise Luffy (S.L) was an epic fail. Who exactly was this person standing before him? And why did he look and sound exactly like his kid brother?

"You're different."

"How?"

Sabo didn't bother to explain. What mattered is that they were united again and boy did he have a fun evening planned out. Just the two of them. He threw an arm across his brother's shoulders and walked him over to the door.