Chapter 16.5

"Don't you care about my feelings?"

Luffy released his wife's hand and opened the door to the apartment so she could walk in first. They had gone to browse town out of pure curiosity but Nami advised that they come home early since the weather report had said that there was a storm out. And she believed that it was going to be worst than expected. Luffy knew better than to doubt her intuition when it came to the weather.

Outside, it had already started drizzling and flashes of lightening flickered on and off like a child fascinated with the works behind a reachable light switch.

He turned to see Nami take her coat off and hang it on the rack with slumped over shoulders. She was in a sour mood.

"I can't believe that asshole nearly ran us off the road."

"It's fine. Nothing happened."

"It's not fine. Something bad could have happened. Why would you even say something like that? You're too carefree. And to top it off this stupid weather just had to come today. I wanted us to-"

Her speech was muffled when Luffy pulled her towards him by the waist and pressed his lips against hers.

She pulled away almost as soon as it happened and glared.

"What the hell you do you think you're doing?"

"I'm kissing you."

"What for? I'm trying to vent here. Don't you care about my feelings?"

"I do care. But do you prefer to be angry over things that didn't happen; over things beyond your control or do you prefer kissing me right now?"

Nami's eyes lost their thunder for he quieted her raging thoughts. This time her voice was a lot gentler.

"I prefer kissing you." And she did just that.

Afterwards, she rest her chin on his shoulder and smiled in complete bliss as he rubbed her aching back.

"Period?"

"Yup."

"Did you take something for it?"

"Yeah. It's doing a decent job suppressing the cramps but I'm still pissed... Just not as much as I was earlier."

"That's good. Do you plan on taking a nap?"

"I am."

"Want me to tuck you in?"

"I'd love that."

Luffy picked her up bridal style and strolled over to her room. And she let him. All while giggling in delight.

These were the little ways he won her over. The little ways he made her feel like the luckiest girl alive.

Nami woke up to a chocolate bar which had been conveniently placed at her bedside and she relished it in a heart beat.

Her hands came to rub at her arms. Outside it was storming like crazy and the temperature had dropped some.

She left the room with a blanket wrapped around her and had gone to the monitor but instead of turning the temperature up, she turned it a few degrees lower. Why did she do this? Simple. She had a plan.

Luffy was sprawled off on the couch snoring away but moaned awake when he felt a continuous light pat on his cheek.

"What?"

"Thanks for the chocolate."

"You're welcome."

"Don't go back to sleep yet."

"Why?"

"I'm cold."

"Then change the monitor or go put a jacket on or something."

"No."

"Why?" Luffy rubbed his eyes and peered at his significant other.

"Because I'm cold."

"... Are you okay?"

"Yeah."

He rose a brow and went to use the bathroom. But when he returned she was still there. He made himself comfortable on the couch again and looked her way.

"Still cold?"

She nodded.

He shrugged and closed his eyes but couldn't focus on sleep. Not under her intimidating gaze.

"I'm cold, Luffy."

"What do you want?"

"I want you to hold me."

"All you had to do was ask," he said dressing over and he raised his arm so she could lay down beside him.

She smiled broad once settled in and took a hold of the remote. One of her favourite shows was airing soon.

"Why are you doing this to me, Nami?" He groaned as he brushed her hair out his face and snuggled up next to her so they could both be comfortable. And they had ended up sharing the blanket since he had only recently picked up the alarming chill in the air.

"Because you're the best."

A smile etched on his face and his tired eyes closed shut.

She had a point there.

Author's Note

All the best to you awesome peeps for the New Year. Make it count.