The suns not shinning without you

Zach's POV

I sat next to the grill while sipping my soda, playing with a few of my phone apps when I heard Harry laugh. Again. He and Liam have been acting all buddy-buddy since I've woken up from my nap and it was getting kind of irritating. What? Liam's my favorite out of the boys okay, I can't help the jealousy that I'm feeling. I stood up and stalked into the house, opening the fridge and pulling out a bottle of water.

"Hey Zach!" I turned around to see Liam giving me a small wave as he entered the kitchen.

"Hey."

"Can you hand me some water?" I nodded and tossed him the one I was about to open, then reached inside to get myself another one.

"You alright?" How did Liam notice my mood? Or my mood change in the least. I wasn't that obvious was I? I didn't know what to do and raised my head up, only to forget that it was halfway into the fridge.

"OUCH!" I heard Liam gasp and then him rummaging around as I pulled my head out of the fridge. I brought a hand up to the bump forming in the back of my head, only to wince as I felt the pain. Liam quickly brought a cold damp towel to me and gestured for me to move my hand. I did as I was told and Liam placed the towel on the bump making me both wince and melt in happiness.

"Did you forget that your head was in a fridge?" Liam said while laughing, still holding the towel on my head.

"Yeah, you have no clue how many times that happens, I got it." I reached up and took over holding holding the towel to the bump on my head.

"Well anyways, are you okay? I noticed since you got back you haven't been as happy as you were yesterday." Liam's face was full of concern as he stared up at me, as I was a few inches taller. I frowned sadly as I noticed he was about Corey's height.

"Umm yeah I guess. Just personal issues." I said trying my hardest to brighten my mood up.

"I know we've only like just met and all, but if you need someone to talk to I'm here okay?" He said placing his hand on my arm sending chills up my spine.

"Thanks man it means a lot."

"Hey Zach, hey Liam," Harry said coming into the room "What happened to you?"

"I hit my head on the fridge..." I mumbled not entirely proud of doing something so stupid.

"Smooth man real smooth," Harry said muffling his laughter. "Hey Liam I'm going to go for a swim do you want to join? Everyone else is coming."

"What about me you dick wad?" I said slightly offended.

"Dude you practically live in the water so why would I need to ask a question I already know the answer to?" Harry said giving me a side glance as if I was psychotic.

"Ugh my brains like dead today." I groaned feeling even more stupid.

"Haha its cute! Don't worry about it Zach, I already have my suit as I expecting to so I'll just go out to get it." Liam smiled and left through the back screen door.

"Dude are you alright." Harry asked seriously.

"I have no clue! There's just so many emotions going on right now in my head between losing a friend to finally meeting THE One Direction." I closed my eyes.

"Well, why don't you hang out on the beach before you go in as I don't feel like paying back my debt today." Harry joked referencing to when I saved him.

"Speaking of that grass, why doesn't it grow where we go swimming? Do you cut it or something?"

I pondered at this. "No I don't cut it. I'll have to ask Corey at work..." I trailed on realizing that asking any question to the animal and plant expert was over.

"Again I'm sorry about him, if you want to, try calling him for yourself this time and try to sort things out." Harry suggested.

"No he broke it off so he can fix it." I decided.

"If that's the logic you want to use, I'm going to change, meet up with you by the shore." with that Harry patted my back and ran upstairs to change.

I placed the towel onto the counter before opening the door and headed down to the shore. I stared at the water as it moved downstream slowly carrying some leaves from the trees that hung over from the river bank.

"Hey man, not swimming?" I turned a saw a shirtless Zayn. My head, already clogged and disgusting feeling, became light.

"Umm yeah not really feeling it today." I quickly said looking away from the sight and towards the river. "I heard about your incident today."

"Haha yeah, not something I want to relive so that's why I'm not swimming either. We can hang out just the two of us as the others have fun in that death trap." Zayn said heading towards the series of chairs I have anchored along the shore.

"What's with the weights on the chairs? Afraid someone's going to steal them?"

I laughed and walked over to where he was standing looking down at the chains I had attached to the chair to the tree "I don't think anyone would want to, these aren't really worth the effort. But the reason they're chained down is because this area is prone to floods so if it does I don't have to worry about finding new chairs."

"Ooh," he sat down on one that wasn't in the shade of the trees "This place looks so photogenic."

"It sure does I'm so lucky to have gotten this place." I said seeing what he meant as the way the trees shimmered in the sunlight and the water rippled down stream looked like a proffesional photograph.

"You're not swimming Zach?" I turned away from Zayn and yet again I went light headed. He was wearing his swim trunks and already was drenched in water, his hair slicked back as he walked over to Zayn and I.

"Um, no, I'm still not feeling too well. Why are you already wet?" I tried to keep my voice from cracking as I spoke.

"Oh, just wanted to rinse myself off with cold water first before jumping in." Zayn snorted.

"It's not a pool Liam. It's a damn lake, you don't have to rinse off." Liam only shrugged and looked back at me.

"You sure you don't want to swim?" I nodded and watched as Niall came barreling out of the house, him jumping onto Liam's back as he yelled.

"Onward my trusty steed! TO THE WATER!" He said in a mock American accent, laughing as Liam ran towards the shimmering lake. Liam threw him in first once they were deep enough and then dived in after him, the two of them splashing at each other while laughing.

"MAKE WAY!" Harry came running in his neon yellow swim shorts, kicking dirt towards Zayn and I as he ran to the water.

"Asshole." We both muttered, then laughed as we brushed the dirt off ourselves. I smiled at the fun that Liam, Harry, and Niall were having in the water while Zayn and I relaxed just by ourselves.

But that smile was short lived, as I remembered that one more person was missing, one person that used to be my best friend.

Zach don't be an idiot just apologize already that way Corey can forgive you okay? Okay. ~ Michelle <3

God Zach such a failure at life and being friends. Maybe we should put a hit on him and hire the snake that bit Corey? Now That would be a plot twist

~C