Chapter One: Spending Another Christmas Alone?

It's been a year since you fell down the hole that was—suspiciously—at the very top of Mt.Ebott.

But ever since you've fell, you didn't bother—nor did you had the urge to go back up or even try to find a way back to the surface. Everything seemed perfect this way.

Even that yellow flower stopped bugging you for a while.

That was one fascinating thing about you, though. Once you've made up your mind, it'll take a lot more than convincing before you change it. Even if it's a matter between life or death.

Every monster in the Underground was so fascinated by your friendly nature. Although, the first day you were here weren't that easy after all. Toriel, the goat creature that adopted you after your fall, had been your ideal mother figure ever since. She disliked the fact that you were too friendly to the point where you could get hurt.

So she tried every possible way for the thought of leaving to never cross your mind. But sadly, it did. And Toriel wasn't very much pleased by it.

It took a lot of convincing and reassuring until she was finally contented to set you free. Although, what you asked was just to get a job to be able to help her out. And she was more than thankful that it didn't require long walks or a trip with the Riverman.

This was the perfect life, and it was all you could ever ask for. That is, until . . . Christmas came rolling around the corner. Knowing the Underground, it never did had any sunlight to shine through. And the reason why it's snowy in Snowdin was unknown to you.

But considering that Santa only comes once a year on a specific date, couples started appearing from left to right. All snuggled tightly into each other's arms. Nuzzling noses. Or whispering sweet nothings into each other's ears. Usually, you wouldn't mind. You were used to it. But seeing as monsters do it too, was in fact, something heartbreaking.

You were single after all. Even before falling into the hole. Ever since you were born, you were single. Walking pass another herd of couple, it struck to you that it was another lonesome Christmas.

"MERRY CHRISTMAS, HUMAN!!" Papyrus, your cinnamon roll of a friend, greeted you energetically as you walked pass him and Mettaton. See? Even the most innocent creature next to Vulkin had someone to snuggle with during this season.

You let a small smile roll off your features. "Merry Christmas, Paps!"

"Stay glamorous, darling." Mettaton purred, his arms snaked around Papyrus’. There was a cherry red Christmas hat on top of his jet black hair. Quite fitting for the holiday season.

"Of course. Stay strong, you guys." You told them back and simply strolled your way to a place where you spend most of your lonesome Christmas hours.

Grillby's.

Walking by, you saw Sans standing just near the door. Wearing his usual grin with his left eye close and his right one staring at you quite sincerely. "another bonesome christmas, kiddo?"

Sighing, you let a weary smile dust your lips. "Apparently. What about you?"

The short skeleton shrugged rather casually. "eh, i prefer to not be bothered."

"Why not? Toriel seems to be in need of company."

Sans’ calm demeanor instantly broke down at the mention of the sweet goat creature whom you call; Mom.

"uh, uhm . . . welp, gotta go, kid. see ya." He winked, then entered Grillby's. But knowing this little skeleton, he has a little trick up his sleeve. Entering the tiny resto, you found no trace of the short skeleton inside. In all honesty, there wasn't anyone inside except for the flaming bartender across the room.

His head lifted up from the glass he was drying and nodded rather gracefully. Letting you know that he acknowledged your presence. Frankly speaking, ever since you fell down Mt.Ebott, this place holds a very special place in your heart. But was it really just the place?

Your cheeks starts to heat up for no apparent reason, and before it could get awkward, you casually make your way to your usual seat. A seat just in front of the bartender.

"Merry Christmas, Grillby." You told the fire creature, to which, he acknowledge with a single nod. He never did like to talk. He was a man of a few words after all.

But when he did talk, it was gracious and worth treasuring.

"Spending another Christmas alone?" He asked after minutes of silence. And it made your heart skip a beat even for a short while. Sighing, you chuckled in a rather nervous manner, before scratching the back of your neck sheepishly.

"Yeah. You don't mind me staying here, do you?" At the corner of your eye, you saw something spark up on the fire creature's face. Something like a smirk, maybe?

"You're the only reason why I'm open on the holidays, after all." Sinking your head into your arms in shame, you let out a long and playful groan.

"Oh, my God. Stop making me cringe." You sighed and you heard the familiar sound of glass sliding through a wooden surface. Tilting your head up, you saw a plate of y/f/f(your favorite food) placed in front of you and a glass of y/f/d(your favorite drink) beside it.

You craned your neck slightly to see the fire creature looking down at you. The same glass he had been drying was still in his hand. Smiling back down at the food in front of you, you sat properly. "You never did fail to make my Christmas worth while."

"I never did have anyone to spend Christmas with." He retorted politely.

You started digging to the food the creature offered you. "Well, you have me. And I think we'll be spending a lot more Christmas together in this place."

Suddenly, your eyes immediately widen as you realized what you just said. You felt that familiar warmth on your cheeks like the first moment you ever heard him speak.

After agonizing decades of silence that hung between you two, he finally spoke.

"I'll look forward to it, Y/n."

It was only a six-word sentence. But the effect it left on you was more than words could describe. It was priceless. Meaningful. You could feel the sincerity in each word he spoke.

And finally, the tense, agonizing atmosphere vanished. Replaced by a warm and calm one. Smiling mostly to yourself, you started to eat your Christmas foodies that your fire friend gave you. As Grillby carried on drying the seemingly undry-able glass cup.