Chapter 31: Magnus's History

Magnus looked at all three people sat in front of him, the people he was about to tell the worst part of his life too. He knew he had to do it to try and make Alice see that it is no place for her. He was so grateful that they were patient because he didn't know where to start. He sighed softly. From the beginning. He thought.

"I was 169 years old, myself and other warlocks had just mastered how to portal anywhere we wanted, we were so curious to how many different dimensions there were out there. By 'we' I mean them, I never thought it was a good idea, but I didn't want to look like a weak warlock, so we went through the portal many times, seeing some stunning places and some horrifying places, we all went to different places and described it to each other so we didn't go to the same place again. Then after around 5 days of random portalling a warlock came back and he was different, terrified of his own shadow, he had only been gone for an hour but he was messed up, he had cuts and bruises all over his body. Every time one of us took a step closer to him he would scream to stand back and started using magic against us. So we left him along for a week to see if he calmed down. Obviously we didn't portal anywhere during that week in case one of us ended up in the same place." Magnus took a steady breath looking at Alice, who just took his hand supporting him. "It's ok, you can do this Magnus, you can either talk through it or show us."

Magnus's eyes widen with fear then he shakes his head, "No I could not relive it like that. Talking about it hard enough I could not see this."

Alice nods in total understanding, I guess she would understand, she has been tortured and haunted by her nightmares and past before. Magnus thinks, before trying to calm his breaths down.

Alice just smiles a little, "When you ready you can carry on, just take your time, we have time."

"No we don't Alessandra, Valentine is building an army as we speak." Raziel says without any sympathy toward Magnus.

Alice turns to her uncle, "Can't you see this is hard for him to talk about, we are lucky he is even giving me an insight into what I am up against, now stop being so ungrateful, you are not the boss of Magnus." She half yells the last sentence which takes Raziel aback.

He composes his face, "How dare you speak to me like that like Alessandra, you will remember who I am, I am your uncle! The king..." he breaks of and silently curses to himself, he wasn't going to tell her that yet, she was too young to know that.

Alice's eyes widen, King...which means I am the princess, next in line to be queen, with uncle Raziel not having any heir. "I will not be who you want me to be, now stop being disrespectful to my friend." She shuts him down completely, making sure that conversation was shut right down before she turns to face Magnus. "Carry on."

Magnus nods, "He had calmed down just enough to get some information out of him, he described the place to us, he said 'it was like an arena, a stage in the middle with a long drop of the side, three bridges to where the demons came out of. Then there was seating circling all-around of the Arena. There were demons everywhere, they tortured him, played with his mind, pulled his eyeballs out and went back in time and went over and over again. He said this place was ancient and the only thing in that dimension was the Arena and all the demons, thousands of demons. That was back then when there were hardly any shadowhunters, imagine how many there are now? After 6 and half centuries. There will be millions and millions of demons and greater demons in the Arena, Alice. They don't just come at you one at a time they all come to you at once, surrounded in seconds no way out. Everywhere you turn to look they are there big ones, small ones, fat ones, thin ones, gas ones." His voice was trembling as was his body.

"Hey Magnus, it ok, you will never go there again, just try your best to talk us through what happened when you were there, why did you go?" Alice comforts, wraps her arms around him holding him.