Chapter 9

"Charlie." I hear. My face goes pale as I look up at the Queen from where I sit at dinner. I walk as smoothly as possible up to the Queen.

"About what happened in the Women's Room." She starts but I cut her off.

"I'm sorry it won't happen again." I say then say everything again in my mind. "Your highness." I add quickly.

I could feel every eye in the whole room, though the Queen spoke in her own soft voice so everything was between us, and the rest of the Royal family.

"I'm not supposed to encourage this behavior, but I'm glad you did it." I stand there stunned for a moment. "I'm going to have a small chat with the rest of the girls that were involved in the.... Action."

"Really?" I ask. "I mean with the first part." I say shaking my head thinking that might have sounded rude.

"Mhmm." She says taking a sip of some iced drink. "You are dismissed now."

"Wait." I hear the prince say. "I'm not sure I understand." I look to the Queen for help but she smiles and raises her eyebrows a little.

"That information is locked inside the Women's Room, and last time I checked the only way you could access it was with the queens permission." I curtsy while smirking. I feel daggers in my back from probably Catastrophe or Emerald.

The Queen seemed to only hide her smile by her cup while Addy didn't even try to contain her laughter.

"I like her." The princess states.

"Isn't the Royal Family supposed to stay out of the selection." I hear. Too bad for whoever it was, the room had gotten quieter at that moment. Addy glares.

"Lady Emerald." The prince addresses her standing from where he sits. "May you meet me in the hallway?"

She was gone by morning.

That night I sit on my bed while staring at the words in a book i found. I didn't understand the language, which I couldn't claim as my own. I feel like only speaking the language didn't make you own the language.

A small knock came at my door, one that almost sounded like Paisley before we lost our house. I shared a room with Jason then. We had different mattresses on the floor, mine bigger than his. It was never fair, but he let me. Paisley slept in my mom and dads room, but snuck into my room in the night.

That was one reason Jason let me have that bed, because I never really slept alone.

"Come in." I say watching closely as the door opened quickly then closed.

"Sneaking around at night is so much funner than people give it credit.  Especially when no one can do anything to you for it." I watch as Addy walks over to my bed in a silky little nightgown.

"Why are you still up?" I ask her and slide the book under my covers.

"I don't sleep a lot." She shrugs. "It gets tired staring at the same pattern in your ceiling ever night and not knowing anything about it. All of the ceilings in the castle have a story built into them but I never understood any of them."

I look at my ceiling. I don't see much but men with weird clothing and spears or bows while other men have stuff caps and uniforms.

"What do you see in mine?" I ask looking back down at her.

"I'm not sure but I'm trying to figure some out. I think that one right there." She points but in not sure where it's directed to, "he's wearing a headdress. I don't know anything about a headdress though."

"Maybe tomorrow we can look in the library." I suggest. "Can you read well?"

"Why do you ask?" She asks but nods as she comes to sit on my bed.

"Promise you won't tell?" I ask.

"You don't have to tell me but yeah I promise." She smiles with a dimple poking at her face. She was too mature to be seven and it didn't even make sense.

"I'll keep it short but in not very good at reading." I say in a low voice though I know the walls are very soundproof.

"Why don't you tell Alex? He loves to read and is so good he could teach you in a day!" She says it so excitingly.

"I'm sure that would get me kicked out almost immediately, Addy." I say reasoning with her. No matter her knowledge you still had to be a kid sometimes and this definitely wasn't her most mature thought.

"He's a lot nicer than you think. Give him a chance you'll see. I was sure you'd go on that date tonight, but I have heard that wasn't exactly his first date." She giggles and I just shake my head, laughing.

"He had a few questions was all and he ended up just staying the night."

"Did he kiss you?" She asks wonderingly.

"No, but he did hug me." I tell her honestly.

"I'm betting on you, Char." She tells me. "I don't like the other girls like I like you, but I've never really talked to many people outside of other royalty. Of course they are all so snobby and I don't like them. But you aren't."

"That means a lot to me, Addy." I tell her smiling. "You probably should be getting to bed soon. I'll walk with you back though."

"Okay let's go." We both crawl out of bed- with me actually wearing my nightgown tonight- and out the door quietly.

I can see the resemblance in Alex and Addy. They both have the same eyes, including the dark almond brown. Her hair was a blonder color while his was dark, similar to his eyes. Her hair was long and reached past her waste.

"We are under attack!"