Chapter 31

It was a nice meal that he'd set up, but I focused more on the sky. It had been a while since I'd seen the sky so full like this.

"Do you like it up here?" His voice surprises me and I jerk my head towards him.

"It's beautiful. I used to sit on the buildings near the alley. It's kinda like home you know with an exception of the fancy clothes, comfort, food..." I drift off. Should I even say it? "You."

"Do you like it here?" It was unexpected but not sudden.

"Yeah maybe. There are pros and cons." I shrug. I didn't want to go into detail and hopes he didn't want me to, but I was wrong.

"Tell me about it. Cons first." He pauses and puts down his sandwich, turning his full attention to me.

"Some of it I can't say though." I laugh a little nervously.

"I won't judge you." Alex promises.

"For starters I miss Paisley. I'm afraid she needs me now and I'm not there for her. And Jason. He's worried about me." I shrug. "For gods sake I haven't even gotten to see my dad and Lewis together yet."

"I would think you were crazy if you didn't miss your family. Anything else?" Alex asks.

I pause. "I don't like the other girls. It isn't that they're all mean it's just I don't like them. I don't like being near a bunch of girls my age I'm not used to it."

"When you say they aren't all mean to you. What are the other ones doing?" Alex asks. He wasn't saying it accusingly just simply and questioningly.

"I don't want to talk about this again. Please don't make me talk about this again, Alex." I plead. I don't want to do that because it will stress me out.

"Char... it's okay you're shaking." I look down at my arms and realize he isn't wrong. I don't know if I would consider it shaking but just shivering a little.

"I- uh- I'm sorry." I hold my hands up like touching my legs folded beneath me will make it worse.

"Charlie calm down it's okay I'm sorry I asked about that I shouldn't have." But I wasn't really listening or paying attention. I felt like I was in a hollowed shell that could be called my body but doesn't feel like it

I sit there staring but seeing nothing nor paying attention to anything I hear.

"I'm going to run down and get a nurse Charlie." Alex says. "Will you be okay?"

"Please don't go." I meant it to sound normal but it came as a gasp.

"Shh..." I feel strong arms wrap around me. One around my shoulders and the other wth my knees draped over it.

"Please don't take me anywhere." I pray he doesn't plan on taking me back down.

"I won't just relax okay?" I close my eyes and focus on Alex's breathing. I try and breathe to the same rhythm as him but I can't seem to slow it down. "Listen Char. Soon I'll be sending some of the girls home alright? Then I'll have to meet the elites family and your family will come okay?"

"What makes you so sure I won't be the one going home." My heart seems to stop all together.

I was leaning against his chest with the way he held me as I shook. I try and sit up and only straighten out my torso slightly.