Chapter 44

The rest of my family came but had to leave as my maids came in. All of the men were going to with the King and Alex and the Women were going into the women's room for tea.

I didn't feel like going, and I definitely didn't want to get ready but I had to. My maids did my hair in a long neat fishtail braid curling loose strands of my hair and did my makeup simply. Lastly, I put on a beautiful, shiny, white, innocent looking gown. It was a sleeveless corset.

I met Lewis, Tayloe, Payton, and Paisley in my room. They all were wearing pastel colors and flowing gowns.

In the women's room, as I walk in, I saw Catastrophe and her mom. Maybe I expected Alex to have just sent her home, but he hadn't and she still glared at me.

"Char!" Addy says from where she sits with her mother. "Come here! Bring your family!"

I smile and walk over to her.

"This is Charlie's family, mother." Addy says. "That's her brothers fiancé. You know Payton? She used to be in the Selection."

"I do remember actually. Nice to see you are doing better." The Queen says happily.

"Yes, your highness." Payton says curtsying slightly.

"And that's her dads wife." Addy says pointing to Lewis.

"You dont see a lot of family's like that anymore now do you?" The queen notes.

"No, your highness." I reply.

"That's Lewis's daughter Tayloe, who I guess is now Charlie's sister and then that is Paisley her little sister." Addy finishes.

Paisley waves shyly and steps backwards, almost tripping as she curtsies.

"Would you all like to join us for tea. The other girls already seem into their own conversations." The queen says.

"Yes your highness." I reply. We each sit in one of the cushioned seats or couches.

Not even a minute after we are all settled with our tea around a glass table, do we hear a knock.

"I thought anyone was welcomed into the women's room?" Payton said curiously.

"Any women, yes. Royal men, though, have to ask permission by a member of the royal family first." The queen states.

"I'll get it!" Addy says perkily and races to the door. She opens the tall door and pauses. "Why are you here?"

We can't here the other person talk. Why were they so quiet.

"What if she doesn't want to see you. Ever thought about that Alex?" I thought it was me. For a split second but instead I decided he didn't want to talk to me anymore. I embarrassed him and was still trying to figure out if he wanted me to stay. In the end I was sure I'd be leaving.

"Adeline." The queen says. "Let your brother in." Addy turns and frowns. She opens her mouth to say something but opens the door wider to let him in.

What words would I use to describe the way he looked around the room? Desperate? Distraught? Tired? I couldn't place one.

I turned to my tea and stirred the spoon in it. He was coming to send me home. I could tell by the look in his face it was distraught sure. He loved me, I feel, but he would've gotten rid of Catastrophe if he loved me enough.

"My lady." He says coming up to me. I straighten my posture and spin my cup around once. Alex held out his hand for me to take so he could lead me out of the room. I didn't want to go.

"He can't make her go can he?" I hear Addy ask the queen. "Please don't make her go." I don't know who was supposed to hear it because she was so quiet.

I look at his hand for a minute and guard my eyes from my face. I take his hand. And I stand up and memorize the carpet on the ground. I wasn't going to be back here for a while. Maybe never.

"Charlie." Alex starts but I don't want him to.

"No don't. I gave you the choice. Me or her and I couldn't help but pray it was me, but it never was." I mutter. "Just tell me to go and I will. No long speeches."

He puts two arms around my waist and pulls me closer to him.

"You need to go." He whispers.  My heart stopped. Maybe I forgot to make myself realize this would happen.

"But you can't. Just like I need to stop trying so hard but I can't. Tell me one time you are okay in the palace. Tell me right now that you could live this life." Alex whispers.

"I–" I start but I was in shock.

He pulls me back so he could look at my face. Desperation searches me.

"Please Char." I feel his breath against my face and look down.

"I would." We both pause not even knowing what I'm talking about. I don't even know what I'm talking about. "I would do it for you. If you want me and I am the only girl here than I will stay. I won't leave or anything. I'll be here for you. But I want to here the same words from you. Maybe not now and maybe not today but before it's just me and you."

"Okay." He says and pulls me up to him. "Okay."