Chapter 29

3 days later.

Addy and I were laying in the floor staring up at the Jamestown settlers. We had read all the way to the end of the swirl of images.

"Now why to we do." Addy asks. I had eaten a little bit of the breakfast she'd brought me.

"You want to go to another room?" I ask.

"Well. I don't know which room yet. So what about we go to the next floor and look around the different rooms there?" She asks sitting up on her elbows.

"Sounds great let's go." I had a hard time getting up.

"Your getting skinny Char. Are you sure that's healthy?" It came out of nowhere like a hard blow in the head.

"I'm okay." I reassure her. She sighs and we walk up to next floor.

"Nobody really comes up here really. You go to the left I'll go to the right. Tell me if you find one that might be near the same time as that." She says.

"Okay what about we come back here in ten minutes and meet up." I suggest.

"okay." Addy starts to skip down the hallway to our right while I go to the left. I didn't like feeling like i was trespassing but I wondered around the hallways peeking in each room as I go. There were a few bedrooms but mostly just big open rooms. They all had the same ceilings with images but I couldn't find one with the same type of men in the same suits.

As I turn the next corner I run into something. At first I feel stupid thinking it was the wall, but I look up and realize it was Alex.

"Charlie." Was that surprise in his voice?

I felt self conscious suddenly and I wanted to shrink backward.

"What are you doing up here?" He asks.  

"Im just with Addy it's fine. I'll be on my way now." I try to walk past him.

"Charlie your so skinny." My arms were wrapped around my stomach so he grabs me by my elbows.

"I'm really fine." I shake my head trying to push past him but I wasn't strong enough.

"Look Charlie. You've had time to heal but you need to become part of the selection again. Come to lunch today. Im announcing a few things and you should be there." Alex says.

"Okay." He looks at me for a minute and puts a hand on my face. "your so skinny."

"I'm fine, Alex." I tell him. Was I? Was I really okay?

"No you aren't. What about you come to lunch then I can take you out to the gardens for dinner? I'll bring whatever you want to eat." Alex tells me. "Please." I sigh and look up at his pleading eyes.

"Fine. What time?" I ask.

"Seven. Is that okay?" Alex asks.

"Yeah that's fine." I nod and look away with his hand still on my face.

"Listen, Charlie. I want you all to be healthy. I want you to attend all the meals from here on out and don't think I won't be watching to make sure you're eating enough." Alex says quietly.

"Okay." What else was I supposed to say?

"I'll see you at lunch then." He kisses my forehead lightly and starts back on his walk past me.

I had maybe five more minutes until I had to go back and meet Addy. I shook my head and walked through each room. Every one had a painting that must've carried great meaning but I couldn't spot one. I look in the last room I had time before before I turned back to Addy.

When I got there she wasn't there yet. I wasn't ever good at calculating time so I waited on the top step of the staircase. A few minutes go by and she doesn't show up. I stand up starting to get a little worried.

"Addy?" I ask walking around the corner of the wall and around it she comes stopping only an inch away from me.

"I found one!" She grabs my hand and starts running down the hall. I couldn't count the doors we ran past but there were more than I could have possibly ran into. "This one."

We walk into a room that was sorta small with a ceiling close to the floor.

"What type of room is this?" I ask. It had a cool slick tile like one in a ballroom and the chandeliers that hung, you could almost touch. 

"I'm not sure." Addy's admits. "But there are a lot of rooms like there here."

"You aren't wrong." I say and sit on the ground. "These guys look a lot like the ones from Jamestown."

Addy nods.

"I think we should go get more books."

So part of this deleted so I rewrote it but follow my best FRAND N_e_v_a_e_h_l_y_n_n !!