Chapter 19

"What did Addy actually say about me?" Alex asks.

"She trusts me, Alex. I'm not just going to give that away."

"Don't tell anyone she told you about that night. That's technically confidential information. You can get in a lot of trouble if someone of higher status asks you and you don't tell them." Alex says quietly.

"So your going to turn me in?" I ask unafraid.

He shakes his head. "No. I wouldn't do that. I'd love to honestly. I just want to be able to protect her from everything, but I want to know what happened too."

"Just pay attention to her. Your there when she absolutely needs you, but when she just wants your company, it's like your a ghost."

"Did she say that?" Alex asks in a whisper.

"In her own way." I wouldn't have told him if I didn't think he'd do anything about it. But I think he would try harder now.

Alex seems completely surprised.

"I didn't know.." His voice drifts off.

"Of course you didn't. She would never tell you to your face, you know." I tell him.

He's quiet for a moment and I just look at the book. There are a few things I understand like the basic words you hear or see everyday.

"Are you excited about the spring party?" Alex asks after a while.

"I don't like to dance. I don't love dressing up and painting my face with makeup either." I shrug.

"So I guess I'll take that as a no?" Alex laughs. "What about the other girls?"

"Ecstatic. All they care about is what their dresses and how their maids will do their makeup. And especially if their dress is revealing enough to get a dance out of you." His face turns a bright pink but then he recovers.

"Oh yes! I almost forgot." Alex says and turns. "Your family wrote back. Just got the letters."

"Read them!" I say immediately turning my attention to him. Alex pulls out the first envelope and unfolds the paper. He reads over it while focusing closely on the paper like he is re-reading it.

"What's wrong?" I ask looking over his shoulder onto the paper.

"It's just..."

"Alex read it to me." I say demandingly.

"Dear Charlie, I'm sorry we didn't tell you. I wish I could've contacted you sooner. I don't know how to tell you softly either, but Oliver has sadly passed away. Lewis and I will get married so Henry and Tayloe can be Six's. Sorry to say but we have already had a funeral and we aren't going to actually have a wedding."

"Wait." I say looking away from the paper. "What?" It's barely even a whisper.

"I'm sorry." He whispers.

"We weren't all that close actually." I sigh. "But that was Tayloe and Henry's dad. I wish somebody would've at least told me so I could've left. Helped comfort them maybe."

"Now they are going to legally be your siblings though so that's good isn't it?" Alex says trying to lighten the mood.

"That's great, but that should've never happened over these circumstances." I shake my head. "Just read the rest."

"I don't believe Tayloe, Henry, or Lewis replied." Alex says counting the letters.

"I don't blame them." I shake my head. "Just read the the other letters." I say demandingly.

"This one is from Paisley." Alex says. "I'm so glad I heard from you, Char! Things have been so different now. I'm scarring bad, but Jason says that's how it's supposed to go. I dream about being at the palace with you every minute of the day too. I hope the prince is nice, but you can come home if he's a total jerk." Alex laughs a little.

"That's Paisley." I laugh.

"This is what Jason said. Don't be afraid to come home, Char. Everybody's mourning, but there are things to celebrate too. Tayloe is already trying to get stuff out of Dad, so she can help clean. Henry's more hesitant. He was very loyal to his father.

"Enough about the boring things. Promising something is just tempting yourself to break it. Don't worry too much. My offer still stands though. The neighbor's let us watch the Report With them too. I was afraid something happened during the attack especially when you didn't write or call. Please try and write more frequently. I hope you are settling in alright and I wish you were home. Just be happy. Don't let your heart break, it isn't worth it. If you know you can never love the prince, come back."

"I'll write them back tomorrow." I decide.

"Would you go back?" Alex asks. "Like would you go back if you knew you didn't love me?"

"Yes. No reason to stay is a good reason to go." I say with a small shrug.

AUTHORS NOTE

Sorry it was so short! I'll try and make the next longer <3
Please comment and vote!