Chapter 38

They sat there and comforted me for hours and hours, none of us moving off the bed. We talked about nothing in particular and I cried some more.

"I'm going to go make us all some tea." Tailor says standing. Once she gets to the door she stops. "Have you been there the whole time?"

"Most of it." A voice replies. "Can I please just come in? Just to make sure she is alright?"

Tailor at me. I shake my head no again.

"Just go on. You'll see her at dinner tonight. She'll be there." Tailor tells him and he leaves. I think.

"I'm sorry." Tailor says.

"It's okay."

•••

Then it was dinner time and I was reading, but tired. I couldn't help how red my eyes were so I had black eyeliner and mascara on my eyes.

My dress was simple and only a light grey top with one strap that flowed outward from my waste.

My hair was in a braid down the side of my head and had a few loose pieces curled.

I walked down the steps alone like I had since Rae wasn't here. When I walked into the Great Room.

It was different. A circular table instead of the long one we sat at. It seems like i was the last person to enter so we just stood there at the entrance. Every girl was confused.

"There are only ten seats here." Alex says. "Three of you will be going home right now. But I will make this as quick as possible for you."

He walks over and stands by a seat. He holds the back of it in his hands that look tense.

"Courtney." She walks over to him and he pulls out the seat for her. He moves to the next, "Isabel." Then the next, "Pearl." The next. "Catastrophe."

There were two seats left but I assumed one was for him maybe he would start sitting with the girls.

There were only four girls standing.

And I was one of them.

So was Daisy, Rebecca, and Peyton but she seemed relieved.

"Charlie." he said finally. Instead of taking the seat I walk over to Peyton. And hug her.

"I hope you have a great life, Peyton." I tell her.

"Hey maybe if you visit your town when your queen again, we'll see each other. I live in the one right next to yours." She smiles.

"Maybe." I say. I didn't know her long but she was like the only friend I had here left and now she was leaving.

"Now go take your seat. I'll see you soon." She says it like she is sure, but I had no idea why.

I walk over to my seat Alex still had held out and felt his gaze on me. Maybe he saw my red eyes which were tubes raw.

"Are you alright." He whispers I think the other girls heard him. But maybe not.

I don't say anything I don't even nod. But what do I say? Yes? Was i? No? But I wasn't weak. I sit in my seat as he hugs each girl that leaves.

"So from now on I'll be eating with you ladies. How does that sound?" He sits beside me, which makes me shift, uncomfortable in my chair.

The rest of the royal family still sits in their usual table as food is brought out like every day.

"Is it the news?" Alex whispers.

"Please stop." I mutter.

"Can I come to your room tonight? I'll bring books maybe we can work on your reading?" He asks again in a low voice.

"Okay sure." I sigh. "Just give me time to change and shower after dinner."

"Okay." And that's all he said. Nobody else talked which I thought was weird. "Are you friends with Peyton?"

"You can call it that." I was trying not to be so absorbed by him.

Soon dinner was over and I stood up quickly. I curtsied and ran to my room. I think I could officially say I had no friends left here.

As soon as I got upstairs my maids were drawing me a bath of rose petals and lavender which I didn't know went well together until now.

The aroma filled the air as I stepped into the boiling water. I changed into the same t-shirt and shorts I slept in every night.

It took about four minutes until I heard Alex's knock on the door.

"Come in." I say leaning back on the backboard of the bed.

"You okay?" He asks. I noticed he did bring books just like he said he would.

"I'm okay?" I meant it as a statement but it came out as a question. So I tried to cover it. "So you brought books?"

"Just like I said I would." He tells me smiling.

He sits on the edge of my bed in front of where I sit playing with the tips of my hair.

"Are you gonna tell me what happened this morning?" Alex asks.

"Not yet. Please." I plead for him to understand but I know he doesn't. But he doesn't say anything else.

We do work on my reading, but there wasn't anything else we talked about.

I sat with my head pressed against his shoulder so I could see the book and we took turns reading each sentence.

At the end we sat there with the closed book in his lap and one arm around me.

I wanted to talk to him just not  what happened this morning. So I think of the first thing.

"When will our families get to come?"

"Do you miss them?" Alex asks. He may have to go through something in the selection but he still had his family.

"Not as much as the familiarness of them." I respond hesitantly.

"Soon. We are down to the Elite. Maybe next week. I might send out the invitations soon.

"I'd like that."

"Then the letters will be out by tomorrow."