Chapter 1

A 23 Year old. Captain Lauren Michelle Jauregui of the 2nd marine expeditionary brigade stationed in Afghanistan was in her 4th year of active duty only months away from leaving behind all that she'd come accustomed to those past 4 years of her life. She'd first enlisted to continue with her older brother Michael's wishes of serving his country, after he was killed in action on his 3rd tour. Everyone in her family advised her against it, not wanting to lose another family member to the war but Lauren was stubborn and had already made up her mind. When you've just turned 18 and your 21 year old brother dies doing something he whole heartedly believed in, it pushes you to want to do the same or at least finish what he started. Well except the dying part.

Lauren enlisted to finish what her brother started but soon after found her own reason for being there. It wasn't just for him anymore, she wanted to help keep the country and the people that she loved safe. She was very good at her job, so good that she was promoted captain a few months back. She managed about 62-100 or so men, she was less likely to be in immediate danger and the pay was not bad compared to what she made before. In all honesty other than the fact that it sucked being away from her family, she really wouldn't mind staying for another four years. But that wasn't what she agreed on and Lauren was a woman of her word.

"Hey capt, do you have a minute?" A deep groggy voice said grabbing Lauren's attention. Most men would refer to Lauren as Captain Jauregui but she had a pretty close bond with some of her men and left behind the formalities.

"Sure thing Elliot, what can I do for ya?" She looked up and nodded for him to have a seat. Lauren was currently in her "office" which was just a desk, a couple of chairs, maps, laptop, radios and walkie-talkies and scattered papers all under a green tent.

"I was just wondering if you have received the information for when we get to go on leave, some of the men have been saying it's next month others say it's in a couple of days. I know I shouldn't be asking and focusing on my job but my grandmother has been sick and she wont make it, it would be helpful to know if I'd get to see her on her last days or if I'd be showing up to her funeral." He said nervously, when your in a war zone the last thing on your mind should be anything related to home, the only thing you should be focused on is staying alive along with keeping all your squad members alive. There is no room for mistakes, not here. As much as Lauren wants to reprimand him for even asking, she understands where he's coming from.

"I will dignify you with an answer only because I feel like if I don't give you one your mind won't be able to focus on the task at hand." She said sternly, then opened the yellow envelope that had arrived a couple days ago, she hadn't had time to open it but already knew what information it held inside so she put it on the back burner. After all it would only make her men focus on the date of their departure rather than on staying safe while they were still here. "Well, looks like you'll get to say your goodbye to your grandmother we leave in three days." She said as she read the letter, he was standing up to leave when she stood up and offered him a handshake."private Elliot I offer you my sincerest condolences." He took the handshake and with that he left her 'office'.

Finding out along with her private that they would get a two week leave in three days was really exciting. She missed her family and couldn't wait to see them. Her last leave was almost 8 months ago and if you'd ask her it was 8 months too long. Her family wrote her letters, she would call or skype with them whenever she got the chance but nothing beat an actual interaction with them. Right now she had a couple of minutes so she decided to make arrangements for her arrival. Picking up the hunky piece of plastic they gave her as a phone she dialed the person or rather people she wanted to greet her at the airport.