3: Perspective

Zane's POV

Aphmau never really got mad at me before. Ever since we became friends last December, we really only ever hung out for these pony tea parties, and that was it. (Besides that one time we had to pretend to date for my mom's sake... But I'd rather not talk about that). Now it's really bad, though. She looked so... Disappointed. Like she couldn't bear to look at me. And Kawaii~Chan was in tears. Did I really scare her that much? You know what, it doesn't even matter. I didn't want to hang out with that stupid cat woman thing anyways.

I crossed my arms and looked down at the crushed cupcake on the floor. Pinkie Cake's gummy leg had broken off, as well as part of her mane, and the cupcake was absolutely destroyed. I looked away.

What could I do now? I couldn't just leave. Aphmau probably doesn't want to talk to me. She probably won't talk to me until I apologize to Kawaii~Chan.

I sighed and got up, carefully stepping over the cupcake. I'd clean it up later, I didn't want to look at it at that moment. At the last moment before I left the room, I hesitated, and in that slight hesitation I saw the rest of the cupcakes on a tray on aph's dresser. After a slight mental debate, I sighed, grabbed a couple cupcakes, and left the room.

...

I crossed the hall over to Kawaii~Chan's room, but didn't enter just yet. I stood outside the door, cupcakes in hand, trying to prepare myself- for what, I had no idea. This was new to me, nothing like this had ever happened before, and I was so- I dunno. Angry? Frustrated? ... Scared? My stomach tied into knots, a knot so intertwined that it would take ages to unravel it. I gulped, staring at the pink door in front of me. I reached for the handle, though before I touched it, the door opened.

"Hmph. You're lucky you came here. I was just about to go get you, and if I had, it wouldn't have been pretty." It was Aphmau. She walked past me with her nose in the air before I had time to say a word. I stood dumbfounded as she strides into her room and slammed the door, clearly dismissing me. I stared. This was all too surreal. Aphmau, my best friend, was mad at me? My head throbbed.

After a moment, I turned toward the Meif'wa's room. The door was left agape, and I could see slightly inside. Very pink. Very, very pink. I stepped forward and knocked twice.

"Uh," I hesitated, "Kawaii~Chan?... Can I come in?"

I awaited a response, but got nothing more than a slight grunt. I groaned, but took that as a yes, and entered the room.

The cat girl was curled in a ball on her bed, staring down at the bed sheets. Her eyes were red, tears danced across the rims and pooled as she blinked. Her golden eyes were distant, as if she was in another world of her own, almost as if she didn't want to be here. I know that feeling all too well. She clenched her fists around the edge of her dress, as if she didn't want to let go, her sharp nails pulling on the fabric so tight that it was close to ripping. I stepped forward into the room, slowly making my way over to her. I sat down at the edge of her bed, and she seemed to tense, so I scooted a bit away. This wasn't going to be easy.

"Hey..." I tried to begin. I wasn't given a response. This was going to be harder than I thought. I needed to play nice with her, or Aphmau would never forgive me. She's the only friend I have, how could I let her go over something as stupid as this? I sighed and looked up at the ceiling staring at the cherry blossoms that adorned her ceiling, watching them sway. Seeing the blossoms move in the slight breeze from her cracked window, watching the different shades of pink dance in the wind, always seeming to stay in place even when pushed by the breeze... It somehow calmed me down.

"Look at the blossoms," I started, catching her attention. I bet she hadn't expected me to say that. "Do you see them swaying? It's calming." I paused to gather my thoughts. "I'm not too trained in friendly interaction. Only business ones, mainly being intimidating, as my family taught me for their business. I never felt the need to make friends, and I was never taught how. But if you're willing to associate yourself with... someone like me... I'm willing to try to learn."

I glanced down at her, her head was now buried in her dress. I looked down, and remembered the cupcakes I had in my hand. The decorations were now lopsided and the cake was a bit crushed, but it would have to do. I held out a cupcake to her, the one with Buttershy on it, (though the decoration had now fallen over) and nudged her in the arm. She looked up, glossy golden eyes stared up at me, and then danced down to the cupcake, and then back again. She paused for a moment, and then reached out to take the cupcake. Her hand was shaky, and she seemed hesitant, though when she decided to take it, she reached out and grabbed it quickly, almost as if she was scared I would take it back. I smiled under my mask, and then looked away to pull it down and take a bite of my own cupcake.

"Mmm, this is really good Kawaii~Chan!" I devoured the cupcake in a few more bites and then turned back to her and smiled. She was looking at the blossoms now.

"You're right you know, about the blossoms? They're nice. There's a reason why I keep them here, you know. Though I'll tell you another time. Aphmau's probably waiting for us." She looked up at the ceiling again, and sighed. She was right. I had done it. I had saved my friendship with Aphmau. Thank Irene. I watched Kawaii~Chan as she furrowed her eyebrows and cocked her head to the side. She hugged her arms closer to her. I furrowed my eyebrows and looked up at the ceiling, wondering what had confused her. The wind began to pick up and the blossoms started to move violently. A few petals fell and landed on her hair as a clap of thunder was sounded from the sky. She tensed and I got up to shut the window. The door slammed open.

"Zane, looks like you're staying with us for a bit!" Aphmau called as she entered the room like she owned the place.

"What?" Kawaii~Chan and I questioned, totally in sync.

"There's a severe weather warning. No one on this side of town is supposed to leave their houses because of a huge storm. See?!" She shoved her phone in my face, which was open to the news... She was correct.

"That must be why the maid cafe lost power!" Kawaii~Chan piped up behind me. I groaned.

"Tell me, how long is this storm supposed to last?" Aphmau quickly turned her phone toward herself and tapped a few buttons. I prepared myself for bad news.

"Until... Three in the morning! Ooh, looks like it's gonna be a sleepover! I'll go get the sleeping bags!" And with that, Aphmau ran out of the room, giggling as she went. I sighed, and turned back to Kawaii~Chan, who was now sitting on the edge of the bed.

"You okay?" I asked, really concerned this time. She nodded, and then looked up at the ceiling again. The blossoms still slightly swayed, though not as much as when her window was open. I looked outside at the now pouring rain and sighed. It was gonna be a long night. I guess I'd start by cleaning up that cupcake.

.