17: You

Six fifteen in the goddamn morning. 

That is the time that Zane was woken. And Zane is not a morning person.

At all.

He groaned, grabbing his phone off of his nightstand, the phone that was ringing loudly in his ear. He had a call. He hissed when he pressed the power button, the light from his screen sudden and blaring in his dark room. He groaned as he saw the caller ID and accepted the call.

"Aphmau, what could you possibly want at this ungodly hour of the morning?"

"Zane, thank Irene you answered, I need you to go check on Kawaii~Chan!"

Zane blinked, confused as he sat up. "What do you mean?"

"She was scheduled for the morning shift, but hasn't shown up. It's been an hour! She hasn't been picking up her phone, and I know you don't like waking up but Katelyn is out of town because her brother is sick and I have all of Kawaii~Chan's brothers here! I'm so worried, and I would go myself but it's super busy this morning!"

Zane held his head up with his hand, trying to calm his headache. "What makes you think she's want to see me?" He said, remembering the events of the previous night. 

"What do you mean? You guys have been so close lately!" Then Zane heard another voice through the receiver. 

"Aphmau, we need you at table nine!" It was Haru's. Zane sighed.

"Fine, I'll go check on her. You get back to your customers."

"Thank you Zane! Call and let me know she's okay afterwards!"

And then she hung up. 

Zane groaned as he got up and ready, grabbing his sweatshirt and tying his shoes, turning to see his shelf of pony figurines. He had Kawaii~Chan set them up for him a couple weeks ago, which she did a wonderful job doing. She had even went out and bought fairy lights to adorn the shelf out of her own pocket. And when Zane insisted he payed for them, she said it was "A gift of thanks, for being such a good friend."

He frowned.

"Good friends" don't kiss on a doorstep past midnight.

He shook away the thought. Even if he didn't know what they were to each other, one thing was for sure: She was a good person. And that should be valued over any relationship status.

And then, he became really, really worried.

He knew she wasn't a morning person, but she wasn't one to just not come into work. She was one of the hardest working people he knew. And she wouldn't just leave without answering her phone. She always answered her phone.

Zane reminisced on the multiple times in which he had called or texted her at ungodly hours of the night, simply because he had lost track of time on tumblr and found something funny he wanted to show her. When he realized the time, he would apologize over and over again for waking her up. She laughed. She didn't mind. And they would end up talking for hours afterwards.

"Too bad you fucked it up,"  His brain told him.

He shook away the thought. And then he was on her doorstep. 

"The place where you fucked it up." 

He silently cursed at his own mind.

He really was worried, though.  

He reached for the doorbell, then stopped himself. He remembered Kawaii~Chan saying that it had broken a few days ago. He knocked.

"Kawaii~Chan? You in there? It's me," He said, speaking loudly in hopes that she would be able to hear him if she was in her room.