Three

Hey, Olivia. It's Darcy.

Is the first text I had sent to her. It was almost 11 o' clock at night and I had only hoped that she was still awake. After a few minutes, she texts back.

Oh, hey! How's your arm?

I smile at the simple gesture, kicking my feet up in the air while I lay on my bed. The simple gesture just makes me smile. Nobody's asked me a simple "how are you," in almost a year.

It's fine. It's in a cast; broken.

I look down to it, frowning but my phone buzzes, causing me to look back up.

Oh, no! 😮

I laugh. She's so simple, yet.. So open to me? I ask this:

What are you doing right now?

It takes awhile to get a reply but she answers.

Watching TV. You?

I respond by telling her that I'm just laying in bed. Then I ask her if she wanted to come over.

It's nothing. I'm just bored, she sounds bored. It'd be good to have some company. We can watch TV together, haha.

Really?

She asks and I assure her that what I am proposing is true. And within 20 minutes, she's knocking on my front door with her PJ's on.

I laugh as she walks in, kicking her shoes off.

"Hey!" She smiles. "Are those kids sleeping?" I nod. "What're their names?"

"Maddy and Mason." I say.

"Are your parents here?" She asks, looking around. I look to the floor and back up to her. "What?"

"How old are you?" I ask.

"Twenty three?" She furrows her eyebrows. "Is everything alright?"

"Well, it's just me and my siblings. My parents died a year ago." I whisper and her eyes go wide.

"Oh, no! Darcy, I don't know what to say, I'm so sorry!" She apologizes.

"It's okay." I sigh, leading her to the kitchen.

"I just assumed since this house is so huge. You're 18?" She asks, confused. I nod. "How can you afford this?" She gasps, walking into the kitchen.

"My dad left us some money." I explain.

"Some?" She exclaims. "He must've been rich!"

"Yeah." I chuckle, sitting at the island.

"So, you are the legal guardian of your siblings now, or?"

I nod. "Yeah, pretty much. My sister and I used to be so close. But ever since mom and dad died, she thinks she owns this planet." I roll my eyes as Olivia sits beside me.

"I don't mean to say this, but I can't get over how beautiful you are!" She smiles.

I blush, looking down at the counter. "Thank you, Olivia."

"I'm happy I met you, Darcy." She smiles and I look up to her, looking to her hand.

A bottle of vodka in her hands. "Oh." Is all I say.

"Sorry, I know you're only 18, but.." She trails off as

"Are you just trying to get me drunk or something?" I laugh, feeling a bit uncomfortable while staring at the bottle.