Ten

I shut the bedroom door, locking it and going to the bed, sitting on it, trying to find out how to make it up to Maddy. How to...

Fix her.

I'm not saying she has to forget or anything, just move on. Mason and I moved on, the whole world has moved on. I thought Maddy had too. But I guess not.

She still thinks they're alive for crying out loud! If they were, they would have protected us! They wouldn't just leave us!

Should I talk to her?

She is obviously still holding on to the thought that they're alive. And I know for a fact that they're dead.

I'll ask Mark when he comes over.

Yeah, that's it. If mom hasn't talked to us, then she would've talked to Mark. .

Just to show Maddy that mom and dad are no longer living, I'll ask him.

I exit my room to come face to face with Olivia.

"Are you okay?" She whispers, pushing me back into the room and shutting the door.

"Yeah. Of course I am."

"You don't seem alright." She says.

"I'm fine." I huff. "Now if you will excuse me, I have to go unpack."

I try to brush by her but she grabs my arm, pulling me back in front of her.

"You can talk to me." She urges.

"I'm fine, Olivia." I say. "I need to unpack."

I brush by her, walking out the door and up the steps, outside to my car.

I pass Cierra in the living room, watching TV and Aubrey in the kitchen, making dinner.

I go to my car, grabbing the few bags from the trunk and carrying them back to the house. I glance around before going in.

When I get downstairs, Maddy and Mason are in the family room part of the basement, exploring the movies as the TV plays quietly in the background.

But I don't see Olivia anywhere.

I hope she's not too upset by my little temper tantrum.

I go into the kids' bedroom and put both their bags in there, then go to mine, throwing my bag in the corner and looking to the clock.

It's almost 5:00, it's been about 45 minutes and I'm starving. I don't even recall any of us eating today.

So I go out of the room and upstairs.

"Hey, Aubrey?" I ask, entering the kitchen to see Olivia in there as well, helping Aubrey make supper.

Aubrey perks her head up, waiting for me to continue.

"I don't mean to be rude," I continue. "But how long will dinner be ready, I'm so hungry."

"Dinner will be ready in about 20 minutes." Aubrey smiles and I nod.

Then Olivia stops what she's doing and brushes by me and going down the steps. I frown as I catch Aubrey's eye, watching me as I follow behind Olivia, feeling like I should apologize, though I don't think I did anything wrong.

Olivia walks into the bedroom, shutting the door.

"Hey Olivia?" I knock on the door, opening it.

I see her laying on the bed, curled up in the blanket. I know she's not asleep, so I go over, sitting on the bed behind her.

"I'm sorry." I apologize. "You were just trying to help and I should've took that into consideration."

She doesn't move so I wait a second before I put my hand on her waist.

Still no movement.

Then I check her eyes, they're wide open, staring ahead at the wall.

"You can't seriously be mad at me, Olivia." I sigh, removing my hand and placing both of them in my lap.

She doesn't say anything, just moves her hand a little closer to her.

"You can't just brush me off like that." She finally whispers. "We can't just keep things to ourselves, Darcy."

"I know, I'm sorry. I didn't realize it was such a big deal." I say. "I was upset."

She rolls back over, wrapping her arms around my waist, making me fall on top of her, laughing.

"I love you, Darcy." She says, kissing my neck.

I don't think we've ever said that to each other before.

"I love you too, Olivia." I smile, moving my leg so I'm completely straddling her.

And it's not even about sexual desire, just comfort. I lay my head on her shoulder and she just lays one of her hands on my hair and the other holds my hand.

"Dinner should be ready." Olivia says.

"Good, because I'm starving!" I laugh, climbing off top of her and standing up, helping her in the process.