ix. big dreams, gangster

It took Tyler a few days to get his strength back from the concussion, at one point Josh considered calling in a doctor. But decided they would probably just tell him Tyler needs to rest and he would be fine.

On the third night Tyler gasped awake, his head pounding as the remnants of his nightmare filtered away into the darkness. Josh was awake instantly moving so he was hovering over Tyler, panicked eyes searching his face, delicately wiping the sweat from the bruise on his head.

"What happened are you alright?" As Tyler's eyes adjusted to the dark he could make out Josh's worry. Tyler gulped, still breathing heavy, his throat dry.

"I just, bad dream, sorry." He was finally able to force out the words. Josh shifted to turn on his bedside lamp, the dull orange light was soft but it still made Tyler's head throb. Josh placed a glass of water to Tyler's lips, holding his neck to help make it easier to gulp down. Tyler tilted his head up slightly to indicate he was done and Josh moved the glass back over to the side. He turned his attention back to Tyler, stroking hair from his forehead.

They stared in silence for a minute, it struck Tyler finally, the softness with which Josh had been treating him. Josh took care of him as though their relationship was more than just hot sex in the back of a strip club, he wasn't just something Josh used to get off with anymore, and now Tyler realised he hadn't been for a while. This wasn't what Tyler had expected, he pushed down the panic in his chest, his head was still too foggy to try to process everything right now.

"Did you see your father shoot someone again?" Josh asked, snapping Tyler out of his thoughts. He nodded slowly, before moving a hand cautiously up Josh's arm stopping at the nape of his neck. He pulled him down into a desperate kiss. Josh hesitated before responding slowly, trying to force Tyler to take his time which only made him whine desperately against his mouth.

"Tyler-" "Please." They both spoke at the same time as Josh pried their lips apart. Instinctively Josh placed a hand on Tyler's cheek, in the dim lighting he hadn't noticed a few small tears escape Tyler until he felt one warm and wet against his fingers.

Josh shushed him gently, smoothing a thumb across his cheek. Tyler gripped Josh's arms so tightly they might bruise, but Josh pushed the pain to the back of his mind, his brow furrowed in worry. Tyler's head hurt so badly, not just the dull ache of the remainders of his concussion but also from the war being waged there. His loyalties were swaying back and forth and he was beginning to lose his grip on reality he needed something to anchor him, to stop him from being swallowed up by his racing thoughts.

"Please." He choked out a whisper. Josh rested his forehead against his, squeezing his eyes shut.

"Tyler," his voice was just as quiet, "you have concussion it's not a good idea." He said the words slowly as though they almost pained him to say.

Tyler bucked his hips up to cause friction between their bodies, Josh immediately tensed up. "I-I need it, n-need you." Tyler was breathing heavily his nails digging into Josh's skin, leaving half-moon marks in his skin.

"Ty." Josh hissed, as he bucked his hips again. He moved a hand down to Tyler's hip, pinning him to the bed. Tyler whimpered, another tear escaping over Josh's other hand that still rested on his cheek. Tyler pushed himself up so that he could kiss Josh again. Without Josh meaning to he got carried away in the slow desperate feel of Tyler's lips against his, the gentle way Tyler's tongue slid over his own. Tyler writhed underneath him, breaking the kiss in favour of kissing the corner of his mouth and then along his jawline and down to his neck. Josh shivered. He nosed at Tyler's temple to get his attention back, rubbing their noses together when Tyler finally looked up at him. He saw the pleading look in his eyes and felt what little resolve he had left dissolve almost entirely.