xvi. but he was chasing paper

The sound of the gun shot ricocheted around the small room, bouncing off the grubby white walls. Josh whimpered as his hair was yanked, forcing him to look at his brother's dead body as it lay on the floor.

Tyler put the gun down, removing his gloves. He nodded at Mark coldly as Mark hunched beside the corpse.

"No pulse, he's dead." He confirmed and Josh made some kind of strangled noise in his throat. Tyler took a deep breath.

"Okay, take his body to where we agreed. Take the gun too." Tyler jerked his head at the two men holding Josh, without a second thought they let go of him, letting his body crash to the floor ungracefully without support to keep his broken limbs upright. The men helped Mark to pick up the corpse, all of them wearing gloves, and wrap it in a bed sheet before taking it out the room.

As soon as the door shut Tyler almost collapsed, rushing over to cradle Josh in his lap. "You did so good, so good." He soothed into his ear, pressing a kiss to Josh's temple as Josh lay exhausted in his lap, breathing heavy and jagged.

"It looked so real." He was trembling but Tyler just held him closer.

"I know but I had to make it convincing, I'm so sorry. But it's okay now he's out and he'll get the message to your father about the plan. Mark will take care of him okay?" Tyler reassured rocking back and forth in an effort to relax Josh.

"A-are you sure?" Josh asked hesitantly.

"Josh, I'd trust Mark with my life, you can trust him with your brothers." He assured and Josh nodded, whole body suddenly heavier as he finally let go of the tension he'd been holding.

Tyler kissed his forehead again, taking in the way Josh was covered in weeks of sweat and dirt and the way his hair was matted and falling over his face in scraggly curls, like an overgrown hedge, he was starting to look feral, his eyes dead, no longer glinting like they used to whenever Tyler teased him or fucked him.

It made Tyler's bottom lip jut out and Josh noticed. "What's wrong?" He tried to sit up in his lap better but his body was too exhausted.

Instead of responding Tyler rubbed his nose against Josh's tenderly. Before shifting him in his lap. "Can you stand?"

Josh nodded weakly and let Tyler pull him to his feet without question. He leant heavily on Tyler however, unable to keep himself upright without Tyler propping him up.

"Okay, okay." Tyler reassured Josh, or maybe himself he wasn't sure. He was trying to psyche himself up for this. "Do you think you can walk?"

"Alone?" Josh raised an eyebrow and Tyler nodded. Josh frowned, taking a sharp breath in through his nose before pushing off Tyler and standing on his own, he wobbled a bit and Tyler flinched as though to catch him but Josh was able to regain control of his limbs and stay upright.

"I'm gonna handcuff you but I'll do it loosely, promise." Tyler assured and Josh only nodded, still confused about Tyler's endgame. He hissed as the cool metal met with his raw wrists, but Tyler stuck to his word and made them as loose as possible.

"Okay just, stay quiet and follow my lead." Tyler guided Josh towards to door, wrapping a hand around Josh's arm so he could hold him upright if he needed. With a deep breath, he kissed Josh on the cheek before opening the door to the room and guiding Josh out. He puffed out his chest in faux confidence and began leading him down the corridor towards the stairs up into his house.

He almost froze when someone came down the steps, looking at him confused. Tyler did his best not to seize up.

"There's no need for you to stand guard, I'm gonna take him for a drive." He emphasized the word drive hoping it would be convincing. The guy stared for a second before putting the pieces together, he smirked evilly. He slapped Josh on the back as he walked past.