xii. "we don't need no money we can make it all work"

a/n: short filler bc i'm going to be away for a week or so cos i need to revise for my exams 

-x-

The sound startled Tyler and caused him to drop the gun in his own hands and throw himself over Josh's chest. The action startled Josh too causing him to jolt so hard it threw the pair off the edge of the bed and onto the floor. More gunshots sounded, closer now.

Josh's face was inches from Tyler's his full weight pressing against him, his eyes filled with sheer terror and confusion. Another few gun shots sounded out and Josh scrambled off Tyler to grab a pair of pants. He just managed to put them on when the door burst wide open, the light blinding the pair.

A group of large men in grey suits holding guns swarmed Josh, grabbing him into their custody.

"Tyler? Oh thank God." One of the men turned to him, the light catching his face so that Tyler could see it was Mark. Tyler tried not to breakdown as Mark pulled him into a hug. He used the hug to whisper into Mark's ear.

"Brendon's being held in the basement, get him out please help him escape." Mark could tell from the way Tyler's shaking fingers gripped into his shoulder how serious he was and Mark promised to try as he pulled away.

"Gentlemen, let's go." Mark nodded to the other men, he pushed Josh out the room aggressively. Josh only stared brokenly at Tyler, his eyes full of betrayal and Tyler felt like the wind hand been knocked out of him. He took a deep breath before picking up the gun off the floor and following his father's men out of the building.

He lost track of Josh in the chaos and he thought he might've been dying, he couldn't breathe, his was hearing everything as though he was submerged in water, he barely registered his brother rushing to his side, pushing him into the back of a car quickly. He couldn't find it in himself to force enough air into his lungs and he welcomed the serenity that washed over him as he passed out in his seat.

Tyler awoke in his own bed, his head groggy, he vaguely remembered his brother practically dragging him up the stairs and shoving him onto his bed. Tyler groaned as he forced himself to sit up.

He wasn't sure what time it was or how much time had passed as stood in the shower but there was a part of him that resented the water, he felt like it was washing Josh's touch from his skin. The look of betrayal on his face came to the forefront of Tyler's mind and he desperately tried to shove it back down, his head still hurt.

Tyler took his time to get redressed, he knew he was stalling but he wasn't even sure what exactly he was putting off. His question was answered by a knock on his door. Before he could respond Mark was peering into the room sheepishly.

"Hey buddy." He said before pulling him into a brief hug. "Boss wants to see you." He said sadly, patting Tyler's shoulder.

Tyler sighed, rubbing his eyes, he knew he'd have to face his father eventually. He just wished he'd spent more time thinking up a solid explanation for his disappearance. It seemed Mark could read his find.

"I told him you'd gone undercover to get Brendon back, he didn't seem sure but he had eyes on the club, thank god Josh blindfolded you, made it look like you'd been kidnapped so just tell your father that's what happened." Tyler nodded slowly as he processed everything.

"Oh god Brendon." He sighed sitting on the edge of his bed, head in his hands.

Mark sat next to him slinking an arm around him before lowering his voice. "He's out, I managed to sneak him out the back." Tyler almost broke down at that, relief flooding through his body, it hadn't been for nothing. "Okay, time to go, don't want to keep your dad waiting."

Tyler followed Mark to his father's study, taking a deep breath before cautiously stepping in. The room was painfully silent as he walked in. His brother was leant against his father's desk next to the older man who was leaning over the front of his desk, his back to the door and Tyler. Mark sat on one of the couches pressed into the arm as close to the door as he could and Zack moved to join him but Tyler remained standing. As the heavy door clicked shut Mr. Joseph slowly lifted his head and turned to face his son. Tyler straightened his back, but he couldn't help the way his body screamed at him to submit to him. His father's gaze fell onto the other two men in the room.

"Get out." He only needed to say it once before both men were scrambling out of the room, Mark gave Tyler an apologetic glance before he left, but it didn't make Tyler feel any better.

"So." His father loomed over him now, Tyler gulped. "You think you can simply ignore my orders and run off to play hero."

"No Sir." Tyler refused to look at his father but he spoke clearly, he knew his father would only be twice as pissed if he thought he was mumbling.

"What did you think you were doing?" This was a test. He was testing to see if the story Mark had given him was true.

"I went to get Brendon back, thought I could kill the Dun kid and steal him back, it's what a Joseph would do." His father raised an eyebrow for a second.

"Well, thanks to you we did caught both of Dun's heirs, he's going to come for them and when he does we're ready." Tyler knew this was the end of it. His father didn't dwell on things, the fact that he was telling Tyler his plan meant he'd moved on already, and maybe Tyler had just earned his respect.

"Are they talking?" Tyler pushed, he needed to know how Josh was, he needed to see him.

His father moved to sit at his desk. "Not yet but they will."

"Let me try, Sir?" His father stared him down, and Tyler knew it looked suspicious. "The bastard kidnapped me, I think it's only fair I pay him back." Tyler shrugged, forcing a smirk onto his features. His father bought it, a grin laced with malice gracing his lips.

"Be my guest Son." Tyler nodded his thanks before his father dismissed him.

As soon as the door shut behind him Tyler leant back against it, taking a deep breath of relief. Immediately he pushed off the door and headed towards the basement, where they had their own makeshift prison.