xxi. whether you fail or fly

a/n: only one chapter left after this.

Josh waits until the allotted time clicks onto his watch face, his whole body is radiating with nerves. He took a deep breath, clicking the safety off his gun and poising it in his hand ready for use if necessary.

He opened the bedroom door slowly, peeking out carefully. When he assessed the hallway was clear he took a shaky step out of the room for the first time in weeks. He worried he wouldn't hear anyone coming over the pounding of his heart in his ears.

He recapped the route Tyler had laid out for him one more time, having spent the past few hours memorising the map Mark had given him. He aired on the side of caution as he went down the hall and towards the stairs. Josh hung back as he heard footsteps up the staircase, he checked his watch quickly seeing it was in time with Tyler's instructions. As one of Mr. Joseph's goons came into view Josh was quick to bring the end of his gun down onto the guys' head knocking him out instantly. Josh stared wide eyed at the guy, a little shocked it worked. He huffs to himself as he drags the guys body so it's up against the wall and harder to spot before quickly sneaking down the stairs and towards the right corridor.

He makes it all the way to the steps into the basement level before he hears two guys talking to one another in low voices. He peaks through the doorway to see one of them is walking into a room and shutting the door while the other is walking straight towards him.

Barely having time to think he tucks his gun away and presses himself against the wall so he's covered by the door as it opens. The guy doesn't even spot him as he pushes the door shut behind him and Josh is quick to jump him, successfully squeezing his arms around the guy's neck until he passes out with minimal struggle thanks to the element of surprise.

Josh wipes sweat from his brow as he drags the guy back through the hallway, and to the room he wants. He panics when he can't find the key in his pocket but his fingers finally latch onto the small piece of metal and he jams it into the door with shaky fingers, aware that the other guy could come out and see him any second. As soon as the door is open he shoves the unconscious man into the corner of the room, pulling a tie out of his pocket that he stole from Tyler's drawers and using it to bind the guys' arms.

Josh ran a shaky hand through his hair before making sure the door is shut and turning to the computer in the corner of the room and powering it up. While he's waiting his eyes naturally gravitate towards the huge and obvious bloodstains along the wall, shuddering as he remembered what Tyler had told him about.

The computer beeps expectantly and Josh is quick to pull the piece of paper and memory stick that Mark gave him out of his pocket. He types in the password as scribbled on the paper and instantly shoves the memory stick into the correct slot. His heart beating a mile a minute.

He instantly goes to the files as per Mark's instructions and finds the necessary information, lists of contacts and clients and deals that Mark had managed to move around when no one was looking. There's still some other stuff Mark wasn't able to locate in time and Josh is quick to search for it.

When he hears shuffling outside the door he freezes, holding his breath and praying the person doesn't notice the light is on in the room. He sighs with relief as the footsteps continued further down the corridor.

He's quick about finding the names of the files as Mark instructed and copying them onto the memory stick. The computer is slow to copy them and Josh almost tears his hair out while waiting for it. He takes the time to browse for more files, one is titled as something ominous and he clicks on it. His eyes widening as he opens it, his palms sweat and his heart pounds. Gulping he copies the file onto the memory stick before deleting the original.