Chapter 3

"What are we doing today?" Silver spoke up, breaking the heavy silence.

The only noise you ever heard out here was the strong, dust induced wind, or the ricocheting of ray gun lasers going off in the far distance.

"Mmm..I dunno. What, did you have something in mind?" I asked as I picked at my fingernails. They were way overdue for a clipping.

She shrugged. "Maybe go for a raid? We haven't done that in a while." She suggested.

I pondered it. She was right, we haven't gone into Battery City for quite some time. Since there were only 2 of us, we didn't exactly need a whole lot of supplies. Nor did we want to be going into Battery City often. Two girls by themselves? As strong as we are...we still wouldn't be able to fend for ourselves against better living. If it were that simple, we would've already taken down BL/ind ourselves.

"Yeah sure." I answered, getting up from where I sat, my hips and joints ached with pain, and then slowly softened again as I kept moving.

A nice little raid, exactly what we needed. And since we lived in Zone 2, so close to the city, it was somewhat easily accessible.

I hopped onto my bike and started up my engine, the motor causing the ground to tremble.

I liked that about my back, it made me feel powerful. Like I could scare anybody.

I smiled as I slipped my helmet back over my head, pushing my hair up inside of it. With raids like these, there was absolutely no way in hell you could show any identification of being a motor baby, or a Killjoy in other words.

I heeled my kickstand, switching gears with my gloved hand and speeding off into the desert.

Silver rode right beside me, taking up the majority of the road on her half.

The blazing sun beat down over our heads, creating a wavy illusion in the air above the dirty landscape.

I rolled up the sleeves of my jacket, allowing the gusty breeze to cool me down to the best of it's ability.

The roar of my bike seemed to slowly become more intense, shaking the ground more than it already did.

I furrowed my eyebrows as I checked my guages. No, everything was neutral like always. So what the hell was going on?

I glanced over at Silver, to see her quickly grabbing for her ray gun.

I looked ahead of us, but nothing seemed to be in view. What was going on?

I glanced back over at her, to see her glaring at her review mirrors.

Suddenly, ray gun shots zoomed right past my helmet. I swerved to the right, quickly braking my bike. In one swift move, I tilted my bike towards the side of the road, rolling off into a dune.

I pulled out my gun, switching off the safety as I held it out in front of me, poised and ready.

A BL/ind car pulled over, dracs swarming out of the vehicle. I checked over my dune to see my sister safely hidden and poised behind an oddly shaped cacti.

I exhaled briefly before aiming my gun at the first drac in my line of range. I unnervingly pulled the trigger, causing him to collapse onto the ground.

Living out here in the desert for 7 years, it makes you sort of numb to this battling ordeal. Yet it still makes my stomach drop to my feet every time I pull that trigger.

I shot down another drac, as Silver simultaneously shot the one behind it.

Another car pulled up, greeting us with an even bigger swarm of dracs. There was far too much..they were gaining on us.