Chapter 18

I wrapped my hand around my mouth, after realizing that I had been screaming.

I sat up, trying to catch my breath. I sighed, burying my head in my hands.

I scoffed at my piteous ways. I ran my lanky fingers through my soft hair. What I didn't quite understand, was why the Better Living industry hadn't stripped the color out of my hair, when it was as bright of a purple as it is.

But, truthfully, anything that facility provoced completely baffled me.

I found a pair of black, dusty shoes by my door. I picked them up, examining them.

I decided to slip them on. They fit fairly snug. I opened my door, walking out of my room.

I quietly crept through the hallway, rays of morning sunlight set the headquarters in a gaudette orange glow.

I walked up the staircase, climbing somewhat gracefully up onto the tall and only window in the warehouse.

I carefully opened the sand covered window, just enough for my body to fit through.

I crawled out onto the shingled rooftop, curling my left leg up to my chin. I gazed out into the beautiful horizon, watching the sun lift up into the blue sky.

Party would've loved to watch it with me...

I shook my thoughts away, feeling my soul break everytime they crossed my mind.

I scowled at myself, focusing on the beautiful sunrise.

I sighed, leaning my head down to rest atop my knees, my hair falling like a curtain beside me.

Time ticked by...how much I wasn't sure.

But I was certain that it had been long enough, to where the sun had already reached the peek of noon, and it was time for me to get down.

I slid my legs through the window, hopping onto the closest ledge.

I climbed down the wall, reaching the first floor.

I wrapped my arms around myself, as I walked through the building.

I decided to join everyone at the main room. I walked in, eyes immedietely landing on me.

I knew that would be a bad idea...

I slowly continued walking, reaching one of the closest tables.

"Nebula! Nice to see you're here, where have you been?" Show Pony looked concerned down at me.

"I was just watching the sunrise." I protested.

"For 5 hours?" He asked worriedly.

I looked around, realizing that it was in fact, after noon already.

I softly nodded, as I brushed my fingers through my hair.

He sighed lightly. "Nebula, I know this is hard for you..." he bent down, matching my height from where I sat.

"But Sunshine, you need to stop beating yourself up. Let it go."

"Don't call me that..." I hissed.

"C'mon Sunshine-"

"I said don't call me that!!' I yelled, standing up.

The room grew incredibly quiet, eyes focused on me. "Dont you EVER call me Sunshine!!" I screamed, angry tears filling my eyes.

I ran past Pony, bolting towards the front doors. I shoved the doors open, stumbling out of the Headquarters.

I ran as fast as I could, getting as far away as possible from the building.

I heard distant voices calling my name, chasing after me. But they soon faded out, as I continued my sprint.

After I knew I was far enough, my weak legs gave out, pulling me down to the earth.

I gasped for air, sucking in as much as my lungs could handle.

After my body stopped shaking, my lungs no longer burning, I carefully stood up.

I wrapped my arms comfortingly around myself, walking quietly along the side of the abandoned desert road.