Chapter 37

I felt hands on my cheeks, he was trying to make me face him, and eventually I did.

Our eyes meeting, I looked into his as he looked into mines. He had a very serious expression on his face before saying, "Don't lie to me. What's wrong?"

"Okay, fine you wanna know what's wrong?" I asked still looking at him. "What's wrong is--" I was cut off by phone ringing, it was Jason calling.

"Go ahead, answer. I'll still be here." he replied.

"Hello?" I answered the call while turning my back to Hunter only to hear Jason speaking frantically.

"Babygirl, before you say anything.. let me explain what was going on earlier before my phone had died." he said through the phone.

"Okay.. I'm listening." I replied.

"Nothing's going between me and Kaylee, and nothing happened either. We were just finishing our project for English since we were partners." he replied. "And also, I'm sorry if the phone call from earlier ruined your day at the pier." he added.

Even if it totally did, I didn't want Jason to feel bad, so I just replied with, "No, it's okay. I was still having fun after the phone call." I replied.

"You weren't worried? Or didn't second guess me?" he asked.

"I mean, I'm not gonna lie.. I was worried. But, I trust you." I replied.

"Really? Thank you cutie, it means a lot to me." he replied letting out a sigh of relief through the phone.

"No problem," I replied.

"Well, thanks for understanding. I'm gonna head to bed now, goodnight love." he replied.

"Goodnight," I replied before hanging up and turning back around to face Hunter again.

"I'm guessing the problem was solved?" he asked as I nodded. "I'd still love to know what happened, if that's alright with you." he replied resting an arm on the back of the couch.

I sighed softly, might as well explain it to him.

------------

"Wow, really?" Hunter asked.

"Yeah," I replied.

"Well, I can see why you worried. Because Kaylee likes that jer-- I mean Jason." he replied.

"Speaking of like, I've noticed you getting close to Rose." I replied.

"Mhm. And what about that?" he asked.

"Isn't it obvious? Do you like her?" I asked chuckling a bit.

"I mean, I kinda do.." he replied rubbing rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly looking away.

"Oh my gosh, that's awesome for you!" I replied punching his shoulder excitedly. "She's a great girl." I added with a smile.

"Yeah, she is." Hunter replied followed by a small chuckle.

"So, when do you plan to do it?" I asked.

"Do what?" he asked.

"Ask her out!" I exclaimed.

"Oh, when the timing's right, obviously." he replied rolling his eyes playfully.

"The timing will never be right, so go for it when you still have the chance." I replied with a smile.

"Don't you think it's too early to ask her out?" he questioned.

"I mean, even if it's been a few days, it's not like you guys aren't always together." I replied.