8. Hyungwon

I hated him.
I hated the way he walked. I hated the way he talked. I hated how he could just sit there with a smug look on his face and everyone just adored him.

We were both models under the same management , I had known Hyungwon for a couple years now , and I hated him.
He was one of the most cocky, conceited and annoying male models that I have ever met.
....
Tonight we had a show for a new brand. Everyone was busy running around getting everything together but there sat Hyungwon in the midst of all the chaos acting as if he was some sort of prince. I rolled my eyes and kept working on my walk for tonight.
....

All the models stood behind the thick curtain. We were full glam with amazing new clothing and we were ready to walk the catwalk in front of some very special guests. Everyone looked nervous because of the importance of this show. This could make or break all of our careers.

The show was starting. We could heart the announcer starting to announce the brand we were wearing tonight. But the staff suddenly burst into the back in panic.
"Has anyone seen Hyungwon?!" They were saying. They looked around frantically and with a quick scan of the models around me, I realized that he hadn't been in here .
He's probably throwing some dramatic fit for some dumb reason. I rolled my eyes at how immature he could be about his work.
I was one of the last models so I watched the others before me for some last minute inspiration. 5 models in and Hyungwon had yet to show up. The staff was still looking for him and I started to get worried as well. He's never missed a show even if he is throwing a fit. This was his career on the line as well. These business people in the front row were not messing around.

With 7 more models in front of me I decided to do the dumbest thing imaginable, I left my place in line and went on my own search for Hyungwon.
It didn't take long to find him on the roof of the building sitting at the edge taking a smoke break. Not sure why the staff didn't think of looking here.

"Those things will kill you" I said taking a seat next to him.
He laughed emotionlessly and put out his cigarette.
"What are you doing here?"
"You're risking your career" I explained. "You know how important this show is"
"Then why are you here instead of there?" Good question. Why was I even here? I hated him.
"Listen," I said, avoiding his question. "You're our best model and we need this show to go well or we're all screwed"
He had an emotionless look on his face and his voice was monotone. I knew how he felt without even asking. But we needed to get this show over with.
I grabbed him by the hand and started to drag him towards the show. Surprisingly, he let me guide him.
I've never seen Hyungwon so defeated..

We made it before the end of the show. I had missed my place in line but at least Hyungwon could end the show with a bang. Hopefully.
"Get it together, you need to do this" I tried to encourage him.

"One of you need to get out there right now!" A staff member yelled. It was me or him now and I had too much to lose but my conscience wouldn't let me leave him. I hate being a nice person.

"Get the matching outfits" I told the staff member. "we're both going out there"
At this point there was no time to argue so we were changed in a second and were being sent out just as the last model exited the stage.

I was about to walk out when Hyungwon stopped.
"What are you doing?!" I half yelled at him.
"I can't do it anymore" he sighed.
"I'm not letting you do that" I said.
I grabbed him by the arm and stepped onto the cat walk. We walked arm and arm down the walk and half way down was when the real Hyungwon shined and he wowed the crowd with his grace and the smile that blew everyone away.

The show was over and I hoped it went well. I was packing up and leaving when Hyungwon stopped me. He was back to normal.
He grabbed me by the hands and smiled. "Thank you" was what he said.
I never saw this side of him either.
I was going to answer when our CEO walked up to us. This didn't look like it was going to end pretty.

"I approve" he said. Wait what?
"You're officially our number one modeling duo!"

--

And that's how I spent the rest of my modeling career arm and arm with Hyungwon. I guess we worked well together and people enjoyed seeing us together.
I would now consider us friends. We worked together but we hang out outside of work as well.
I'm not sure what it is about him...
But I was now caught in his charming trap.