Chapter Twenty One: Goodbye, Skye Hastings.

November 9th

"Is she here?"

I look towards the door of the tent and then back at Greyson. His faces falls into the masked expression that he usually gets when Cole is around. Full of angry, loss, and... jealousy.

"I-"

He doesn't let me finish as he pushes past me and steps out of the tent. I follow after him in a rush and practically fall out of the tent behind him. I look up to see Cole, Sam, and Violet looking between Greyson (whose glaring down Cole) and me (struggling to human.)

Cole breaks his glare from Grayson to walk over to me, he stretches his arm out to me and I take his hand hesitantly. I'm still mad at him but not as much as I probably should be. I know too much now.

He pulls me up and cups my face in his hands, "you okay?"

I shake out of his hold, "yeah, I'm fine."

His eyes are sad and the scruff on his chin is way too attractive. I look behind him to see Greyson walking away and Sam following him. Violets the only one that sticks around and with a smile stretches out a hand while she prances up to Cole. "Nice to meet you, I'm violet. Liam's girlfriend."

Cole shakes her hand but doesn't take his eyes off me, "Cole. Skyes boyfriend."

Violet smiles and two seconds later Liam runs up and throws her over his shoulder with a yelp. With all the emotions going on in my stomach I can't even smile at the sight. Instead I grab Coles hand and pull him towards me and Sam's tent. Without a word we fall into the tent and I'm engulfed in his scent as he pulls me towards his chest.

"You actually came."

He nods his head, "yeah. I figured I needed to get out of bed."

"Cole-"

"Sh," he whispers in a small voice against my ear, "just for a few minutes."

I feel the tears creeping to my eyes and instead of trying to hold them back, I let them come. Because I knew this was coming and in my heart I know it's what's for the best but right now it's hurting. So I let him hold me and I hold him as we lay on the pile of blankets and just remember what it feels like to be in each other's arms.

***

It could have been hours or days but finally I say it. Because I know that we both need to hear it outloud.

"I love you."

He looks at me with knowing eyes, "I love you too."

I smile because I'm glad this is how it's ending, "you lied to me."

He starts to shake his head but I cover his mouth and continue. "I'm not mad. I probably would have done the same thing."

"What are you talking about?"

I run my finger down the bridge of his nose, "Wendy told me everything that happened that night. About the fight you guys had. About what you told her..."

His eyes shift around the tent and his arms tighten around me. "She shouldn't have told you that."

"I'm glad she did."

He looks back at me, "it was a long time ago. Yesterday was the first time we had talked in years."

I smile and scoot closer to him, "she also told me about how great of a guy you are."

He closes his eyes, "why are you telling me this?"

I place my lips on his and he's caught off guard but quickly falls into me with a full force of love. Because I know he knows what's going to happen next.

I pull back and snuggle into the crook of his neck, "you're in love with Wendy, Cole."

I saw it in the way he looked at her yesterday and I saw it in the way she looked at him. I had a sinking suspicion since I first talked to Wendy. Right when she said that Cole was a great guy I knew...I knew that Cole and I were not what was supposed to be. Wendy was the first girl. The girl that Cole first loved. I may have been the girl that made him break out of the shell of shame. The girl that was able to make Cole Ryder show everyone who he is. But I'm not the girl that got away. And I never will be.

But that's okay. Because even though I do love Cole with all my heart. I know that in the end we would have never worked out. Because he's not the boy that makes my knees weak, he's not the boy that makes my whole world turn upside down, and he's not the boy that I will inevitably fall for.

His breath catches but he doesn't say anything. So I continue. "It's okay. I know you love me, and you know I love you. But you will never love me like you love her."

He pulls back and looks at me, "it's - I."

"It's okay," I say calmly - even with the tears rolling down my cheeks, "she loves you too."

"Why are you saying this?"

I smile up at him, "because we're not meant to be, Cole. You and Wendy are the fairy tale. Not you and me."

"It's over," he whispers. His clouded blue eyes piercing into mine with full understanding.

I nod and he wipes away the tears. He smiles at me, "you will always be the girl that showed me how to love."

I kiss him lightly, "you will always be the boy that taught me what love is."

He laughs and shakes his head, "no I'm not."

I look at him shocked, "what is that supposed to mean?"

"I may have been your first love," he says. "But I'm not the one that taught you want love is."

"What?"

He kisses my forehead, "goodbye, Skye Hastings."

I watch as he leaves and I'm left cold, clueless, and crying.

The one hope that I have is that in the end I'll be able to look at Cole and know that he's the boy that started it all. Even if he's not the one that made the whole ride worth it. At least I know that I will always have a friend in him. No matter how hard it will be to look at him like that.

A friend.

***

I decided to post another chapter because the last couple chapter have been a little short. So there you go, the ending of Cole and Skyler. Who actually thought it would last this long? I didn't, but some how they stuck it out for quite some time. Anyways the next chapter are in the process of being written and there going to be crazy. I'm super excited for you guys to read them.

Anyways remember to; vote, comment, follow...and whatever else there is. 

I picked Three Empty Words by Shawn Mendes as the soundtrack for this chapter because even though it doesn't really relate to Cole and Skye's situation it still has some similarities. But also because Shawn Mendes is fucking adorable and his whole Illuminate album is absolutely fantastic. Honestly it's what I listen to almost every time I write.

Anyways...

Happy reading!