Chapter Twenty Five: Something drastic.

November 25th

"You realize how weird this is, right?"

I look over at Cole in the passenger seat with an unamused expression. "Oh really? Is this weird? It's not like we just broke up a few weeks ago and now I'm helping you get another girl or anything."

He whistles out a long breath and scoots deeper into the seat, "someone's snippy."

I roll my eyes as we drive through the dark streets in my moms car towards the school. Its two in the morning and Cole and I have been going over the plans for hours. Now were finally going to set everything up for Monday. When school starts up again.

"I'm sorry," I mumble. "I just have a lot on my mind."

"Does this have to do with what I walked into this afternoon? Between you and Black?"

"I would say you more fell into it, but yes."

He awkwardly pats my shoulder and whispers, "there there."

I glance over at him with a slight smile, "you're really bad at this."

He takes his hand away from my shoulder and shrugs. "I don't know what else to say. If it was a couple weeks ago I would be so pissed that I would punch him in the face. Now I just feel awkward. I mean how am I supposed to talk to you about your relationship problems?"

"There's no relationship to even talk about so don't worry about it."

I park by the front doors of the school. Cole unbuckles and gets out of the car after me, "but obviously you feel something for him."

"No I don't," I glare behind me at him as he runs after me.

He laughs as he steps up next to me, "that's like saying you don't have an obsession over Jennifer Lawrence."

I turn to him, "you always hated my love for her. No wonder we broke up."

He rolls his eyes playfully, "you're trying to change the subject."

He unlocks the doors of the school and we walk towards the gym. I smile cheesily over at him, "is it working?"

He laughs easily, "a little bit."

I tuck a piece of hair behind my ear and watch our feet as we head towards the gym. I find myself wanting to explain everything to Cole. Because even though it might be awkward between us, Cole knows how I am with my emotions better than anyone.

He was my first love and all.

So that's what I do. I tell him everything. As we set up the stage for grand gesture to Wendy we talk. He tells me about what it was like to fall in love the first time. I tell him about the conflicting feelings I've had for the past two months. He tells me about what it was like to fall in love with me. I tell him what it was like to find a friend in him. He tells me how sorry he feels. I tell him that I forgive him.

***

"She'll love it."

He looks up at the banner chewing on his thumbnail nervously. "You think? You don't think she'll think it's too cheesy?"

I push his shoulder making him lose balance. He smiles at me and as he steadies himself. "Trust me, Ryder. She's going to fall even more in love with you. I mean the girl is a reader, they all love grand gestures."

"Maybe I should just get her a necklace."

I roll my eyes, "no. You're going to do what you originally planned. Besides, if this was an inside thing between you guys then she's gonna love it so much more, because you remembered it. I mean I didn't even know that you could sing. Or play guitar, for that matter."