5. I'm A Dragon

The next morning, I decide to head into town for a quick visit to the studio. I don't own the place, but I am responsible for keeping it stocked. Steve hired me almost two years ago to start refurbishing furniture to sell in his shop. I make a decent cut from the items that are sold, and I get to continue doing the one thing I love most.

I adore turning rundown, neglected pieces of wood into works of art. My main focus is unique, vintage-style tables and chairs, but occasionally I'll build or restore old clocks, shelves, cabinets, picture frames, and other small home decorative items. I can honestly say, it's the most fun I've had on the job in all my life.

Stepping through the door, I take a relaxing inhale, the small bell overhead jingling with the movement. Making my way towards the back of the store, I relish in the scent of oak and Pinesol. There's something captivating about the smell of freshly stained wood—like smelling gasoline or markers—it smells so strangely good that you wanna just breathe it all in, but you stop yourself because you can physically feel it eating away your brain cells. Might explain why Jessalyn is a bit loopier than the average person.

Jessalyn is the store manager, and she happens to be manning the counter today. A smile lights up her face when she sees me approaching and she stops organizing the money drawer and comes out to greet me.

"Merc!" She throws her arms around me as she says my name. She's a loud person anyway, but when she's speaking directly into my ear it nearly explodes my brain.

"Geez, woman!" I say, pulling away to jab a finger in my ear. "I think you blew an eardrum."

She chuckles at my dramatics and slaps me playfully on the shoulder.

"So," I start to say, making a small circle as I eye the store, "How are things going?"

"Been pretty slow," she admits. "But, we did have a pretty big sale a couple of days ago. People are loving those new chandeliers you fixed up. You might consider doing a few more of those."

"I'll keep that in mind," I say with a smile as I browse the store. I take note of the fact that the grandfather clocks haven't done too well. A few chairs have sold and a crib, but not much else.

Unfortunately, even though it's not my business, the fact that things aren't selling affects me pretty severely. Seth and I rely on my income to buy the groceries. There's no doubt that this month will be a little tight. We might have to resort to rice and noodle dishes until sales go up—which, considering my small meal repertoire, won't really be that big of a change.

I spend a few more minutes chatting with Jessalyn before my body starts demanding that I fill it with sustenance. I find a small cafe down the street and order a peppermint tea and a roast beef sandwich. I gaze out the window while I eat alone, my mind wandering to Seth with an annoying persistence. I just want to go one day without hurting or thinking about him. I want to eat in peace. But my overactive mind won't allow it.

Once finished, I head to the gym. I used to make fun of my old roommate every time she went running in college, and now, here I am attacking the water like a freakin' shark. I can't deny the fact that it makes me feel good about myself. It's just a shame that nobody else even knows that I've got a nearly flat stomach but me.

I return home, feeling significantly less motivated than when I left. The house is quiet and lonely, which seems to suck the desire to be productive right out of my system. I flop down on the couch, telling myself I'll just rest for a couple of minutes, but the next time I wake up, it's dark.

I guess this is what I get for not sleeping at night. I begin to sit up but freeze when I realize there's a blanket draped over my body. I don't recall doing that.