44. I Promise

Three hours later, Seth and I are waving goodbye as Tracy and her family drive away. I'm surprised by how well the evening went. We laughed, we joked, we chatted. It was all just simple, comfortable fun. It's something I've missed over the last few months. I crave human interaction. Maybe that's where things first started going downhill for me. I got so involved with my work, that I just sucked myself inward and abandoned my own need for people.

Well, that won't be happening anymore. Starting right now, I'm taking action. Seth and I are alone at last, with an entire evening to ourselves. I plan to take full advantage of this situation... even if I have to tie him to a support beam just to get him to stick around.

Turning after watching Tracy's car disappear around the corner, my eyes find Seth. He's already looking at me, a faint smirk tilting up the edge of his lips. I return the look with an inquisitive one of my own and then smile.

"What?" I ask after a moment of trying to decipher the expression on his face.

"Eh, nothing," he answers, waving it off. But, he's still got that hidden smile on his face, and I demand to know why it's there. Before I can push for answers, he's shooting me an amused grin as he dips his head slightly so he's more level with me. "You still jealous of Tracy?" As he says this, he wiggles his eyebrows teasingly.

My hand reaches out and smacks him in the side of the head before I can warn it not to. Seth just laughs harder as he rubs at the tender spot.

"Shut up," I groan. "I can't believe you didn't just tell me."

"And miss seeing your reaction tonight? Yeah right."

"I hate you."

He just laughs again as I stare at my feet. I've got a smile tugging at my lips, but I'm using all my strength to push it down. When I glance back up, Seth is still watching me, a contemplative grin spread across his lips.

"What?" I ask again.

He just shakes his head, his gaze flittering away from mine for a moment as he glances at the ground. Then he's looking at me again, his eyes sparkling with an emotion I can only describe as fascinated affection.

"Okay," I mutter, pretending to let it go as I shrug and push a stray strand of hair out of my face. When he just continues to watch me, I sigh. "Come on."

"It's nothing," he assures me, unable to erase the hint of a smirk on his face. "You just look happy."

I'm not prepared for him to say such a thing, so I find myself just standing there. My gaze jumps back and forth between his eyes, searching for answers. When nothing is revealed, I decide to inquire further.

"And my being happy makes you happy?"

He just shrugs, a mischievous grin lighting up his face as he turns back to the house. I follow after him in a dazed stupor. My happiness brings him happiness? He can't admit to loving me, but there's definitely a drastic amount of affection for me somewhere inside of him. He wants me... I think. He has no desire to end our marriage because the effort he's putting in wouldn't make sense otherwise. Maybe he lost some love for me along the way and now he's working to gain it back.

Sounds like he could use some quality time with my dad. Love is a choice, my dad had said. Maybe a few minutes with him would make Seth realize that he can love me today... if he chooses to.

We enter our home and I turn to slide the door shut behind us. Seth is already making his way into the kitchen by the time I swivel back around. I trail after him, my head swirling with thoughts. His words have sparked a certain level of interest inside of me, and I'm anxious to sit down and have this much-needed chat with him.