41. Freedom

I have no clue how you all will respond to this chapter. Just be warned, Mercy goes a little nuts. I think it's the old Mercy coming back to life. Remember, she just quit her job. I know some of you felt she quit because she felt like she had to, but maybe this chapter will give you a clearer idea of how she actually feels about quitting. I hope you enjoy it no matter how insane it gets.  :S

---

I throw my phone on the couch cushions and groan up at the ceiling. Things seemed to be going so well with Seth, and I think they still would be, but I haven't seen him in nearly two days. It's making me crazy. He mentioned a day or so ago that he was settling a deal and he wouldn't have much free time. He wasn't kidding. It's like, ever since Seth kissed me, our days are not aligning. We can't seem to find time for each other and it's frustrating. What's even more frustrating is this need I have to corner him and demand that we actually talk for once in our lives.

Sure, the tree climb was amazing, and I truly felt that he was trying to convey some kind of emotion to me, but enough is enough. It's time that we talk before I combust. I can promise that having Mercy innards splattered all over the walls of our home will not be worth it.

I fling myself down on the couch, successfully lodging my cell phone into my ribs and eliciting a muffled yelp from my tight lips. I'm so mad. I just want to yell my anger from the rooftops... which triggers an idea.

I hop up from my supine position and jump to my feet as I scramble for my phone. I give Shon a call, but apparently she's got a family dinner to attend. Lame. Yet again, frustrated, I heave a sigh and then force a smile onto my lips. My mom once taught me that sometimes forcing happiness into your appearance can trigger it in your heart.

Welp, it doesn't. I'm still mad, and now I also look crazy because I'm smiling to myself with rage blasting from my eyes. Not a safe combination. It's a look that could get me thrown into a looney bin. I best remain home in this state.

I guess I'm going solo again tonight. Gosh, what happened to all my friends? When did I turn into this sad little pony of a person? Actually... I'm not sure what that means. Rephrase. When did I turn into a loser? I need people, but all the people I love are preoccupied with their own lives... or gone.

Not willing to let my emotions tear me down, I pull on a pair of toe shoes and scamper out of the house. Freedom is raging inside my veins and it needs a release. The best option—which is also the most stupid one—is to let that freedom out right here and now.

The sky is dark, a scattering of stars glinting past the haze of lights that glow throughout our little town. There are days when I'd love to live in a place like Jackson lives—out in the wild where city and town life can't touch you. Nature can boast the way it's meant to. I've always felt that things are more real in nature. Greens are greener, sunsets more vibrant, animals more wild, and smells more fresh. We town-dwellers are missing out on the true beauties.

Taking one last glance at the peaceful night, I turn my gaze toward my own home. All the lights are off. To anyone looking at the house, it would appear that nobody is home—well, apart from my car parked smack-dab in the middle of the driveway. That was my way of rebelling against Seth. If he can't get home and spend some quality time with me, then he can forget about parking in the driveway too.

I inspect the structure of my house. Seems sturdy enough. Besides, last fall Seth was on the roof cleaning leaves from the gutters. So, if it can hold his weight, then it will most certainly hold mine. Feeling like a complete rebel—and loving it—I shimmy out of my jacket and fling it onto the grass. I flex my toes, feeling small rocks pinch against my skin with the movement. With a pointless nod to myself, I'm ready to rock and roll.