46. Powerless

It's shocking how easily Seth and I have settled back into our routines. We're both busy these days. Seth may have finished one deal, but that doesn't mean he gets to slow down. He's busier than ever, and for the time being, I don't mind. I've still got a few more weeks of work left with Steve and I've been cramming every minute of my day with new projects in hopes of saving up a good chunk of cash. Hopefully, we'll have enough to get us by until I can find a new job.

In my free time, I've been scanning the internet for any job opportunities that I can find. Not just for myself, but also for Seth. He's not aware that I'm doing this, but I feel like it's necessary. We might be okay for now, but if Seth continues on in a job he hates, it could very well cause more damage in the end. I'm not willing to risk adding that kind of strain to our marriage. If there's another option out there that pays as well, we need to snatch it up.

My eyes are beginning to droop as the dim lighting from my computer screen blazes against my retinas. The intensity of the light is almost painful now that the sun has gone down. I'm too lazy to get up and switch on any lights, so as I sit in a pitch-black room, my eyes strain against the ads on the computer.

I'm feeling more and more defeated as I skim the useless options. Nothing is good enough. Either the pay is horrible, or the job itself is. I'm not willing to take a job unless I know it's something I'll enjoy. The only way that's happening is if desperation sets in and we just need some kind of income to survive off of. I pray things don't get to that point.

While I'm half worried about what quitting my job could mean for us, I'm also grateful that I did. Sure, finding a replacement job might be difficult, but I don't regret what I did. If anything, choosing to quit has done wonderful things to my and Seth's relationship. I know he never wanted me to quit. He never would have asked me to do that. But, I know he appreciated it. He appreciated the unspoken meaning behind such an action. That in itself was enough reason to do it again if needed.

Standing from my slouched position, I place my laptop on the coffee table and make my way to the light switch. Flicking it on, I get to work making dinner. I've always hated this time of year because even though it's only six o'clock, the sun is already gone. Everything about winter is miserable. The dampness, the coldness, the darkness. It's the perfect time of year to sink into a deep depression and sleep until summer. I'm not sure I would have survived this time of year had Seth and I not made up first.

I'm busy sizzling garlic and onion in the skillet when the front door swings open. Seth saunters in, looking exhausted. I holler a 'hello', sending him a sympathetic look before turning back to preparing dinner.

Tonight is omelet night. I'm too lazy to put any more effort into cooking than that. With bacon bits already cooked to perfection, I get to work pouring eggs into the skillet and adding all the innards. I do make a mean omelet, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Just as I'm setting dinner on the table, Seth exits the bathroom. He looks refreshed, his hair still dripping with water droplets. He runs his towel over his head quickly before draping it over the back of his chair and then taking a seat.

"Smells amazing," he says, grabbing the salt shaker and sprinkling some over his meal.

"Thanks," I say, joining him at the table.

We only make it halfway through our meal when suddenly the lights flicker off. I freeze, glancing into the darkness that's now swallowing us. I'm just preparing to stand and start hunting for the candles when they pop back on. I catch Seth's eye and he just shrugs, shoving another bite of food into his mouth.

"They did say that there's a storm blowing in tonight," Seth starts to say as I get comfortable in my seat.

"Really?" I ask, taking a bite.