25. Wednesday Night Pedicures

Conversation is limited during breakfast. I think we're both overly thrilled by how well we've gotten along this weekend, but it's been so long since we've really talked, that we've forgotten how to. We try, but it just ends up being that super awkward 'first date with a stranger' type of talk. It's uncomfortable and I'm dying to finish eating so we can do something that requires interacting without conversing. By that, I mean board games and such—not... you know? Though, that doesn't sound like a bad way to spend our morning either.

Once the dishes are washed, Seth and I venture outside to figure out our next activity. We'd spotted a small detached garage at the back of the house and decided to explore it. What we hadn't planned on finding was a pingpong table, bean bags, a dart board, a gumball machine, and a legit sound system. It's any teenager's dream.

Upon discovering this room, both of us turn excited eyes towards each other, childlike grins taking over our faces. This is exactly what we needed. Without a word, we part ways—Seth moving to one side of the table, and me on the other. With paddles in hand, the game has begun.

"Okay," I say, stopping after about two minutes of bonking the plastic ball back and forth. "We need to up the challenge a bit."

"Agreed," Seth says, placing his paddle on the table and resting his hands on the surface as he leans against it. "What's your idea?"

"How about..." I trail off, mentally scratching my head in thought. For some reason though, I'm coming up blank. I'm never blank. My mind works like an Energizer Bunny. It never stops. But, it seems right now I'm unable to put together any brilliant ideas.

"How about, if you lose a round, you have to confess something."

Of course he'd suggest that. He's been dying to confess his secrets for weeks now. This is the perfect opportunity for him. But, the smile on his face doesn't appear to hold any vengeance. He simply thinks it could be fun. From the looks of it, he has no ulterior motive other than to just have some fun.

Shrugging, I concede. "Deal."

And the games begin. The only problem is, I'm utter crap at ping pong. Within approximately two seconds, I've lost. I guess I'm stronger than I thought because I was not expecting that hit to launch the ball across the room.

Seth hurries to fetch it and then returns, an anxious look on his face.

"Well?" he inquires, most likely waiting for me to reveal something really juicy that he can use against me in the future. Unfortunately for him, I don't have many secrets that I'd be horrified of him sharing. So, I'm not too worried when I reveal my first confession.

"Sometimes when I drink water," I start to say, "I like to pretend that it's vodka because it makes me feel like a total boss."

He starts to laugh, his face crinkling in humor. I just stand there watching Seth from the opposite side of the table. He doesn't notice me watching because he's so caught up in the hilarity of my confession, and I'm grateful for this moment to observe him. He looks so much younger and happier. I take in the scene before me, loving the fact that Seth isn't hiding right now. He's just being himself.

"Seems you do a lot of pretending when you're by yourself," he observes, lifting his grinning face to meet my gawking one. His smile remains in place, but one of his brows curves itself into a look of concern. He's clearly confused by my lack of emotion, but not concerned enough to question me about it. Suddenly, his grin widens, and something evil flutters through his gaze. Before I can react, he's lifting his paddle and taking aim.

I hurry to get into position and just barely hit the ball in time. He smirks wickedly and I realize he'd been hoping I'd lose again. Surprising, since I'd assumed at first that he'd chosen this game purely to release his own guilt. Now, I'm not so sure.