8. A Tasteful Mistake

Two weeks pass quickly, and with me popping out a table each week, I've proudly finished two already. So far, I feel like I'm doing pretty well. The one-month deadline was pretty unrealistic, so I convinced Adam, my client, to consider a month and a half. That way I've got a little leeway in case something comes up and I've got to put production on hold.

He called last night to ask about coming over and taking a look at the pieces I've already completed. It's exciting really. I love watching their faces light up when they see their designs come to life. Their response is the reward of a job done right.

Seth and I haven't seen much of each other in the last few days. I swear, since walking in on me in the bathtub, it seems like he's been trying extra hard to avoid me. It's frustrating, and yet, if he's going to avoid me, I guess this is the perfect time. It's not like I've had a chance to really do anything but hole myself up in my workshop. I'm way over my head with measuring, planking, cutting, clamping, gluing, sanding, and staining each table to perfection. It's exhausting... and so gratifying.

I hear the doorbell ring, and quickly dust my hands on my apron before making the trek through the backyard and into the house. I swing the door open and greet Adam with an inviting smile. I'm positive I'm as grimy as I feel, but there's no time for vanity when it comes to woodworking. I lead him out back and welcome him inside my rather spacious shed.

I watch his eyes skim over the glossy tables, the scent of freshly sliced wood planks tainting the air. I see him take in a deep breath before blowing it out through pursed lips. Suddenly, I'm wondering if he's pleased at all. His face sure doesn't show it. He starts shaking his head slowly side-to-side and I'm all prepared to jump in and defend my work when he shifts his feet and turns towards me.

"Mercy," he says, his voice carrying an airy, surprised quality. "You've outdone yourself."

I audibly release my anxiety through my lips with an exhale, and a smile skitters over my face.

"This is stunning work." He turns back towards the table, running his hand over its smooth surface and not bothering to hide his pleasure. "You know, when I contacted Steve

about this project, he assured me I'd get exactly what I wanted. But," he tilts his head in my direction with a teasing smile lifting the corner of his lips, "I got so much more. These are beautiful."

"I'm glad to hear it," I tell him, my heart pumping to the beat of pure glee.

"I feel confident you won't let me down," he says, reaching out his hand towards me. I offer him a friendly shake and watch as he makes his way toward the door. "I look forward to seeing them all completed."

He rounds the side of the house and I hear his truck rumble to life. I smile to myself after closing the door to my workshop. It's moments like this that remind me exactly why I love doing what I do. I start the walk back to the house, and that's when I realize Seth is standing at the window. He offers a sharp nod when he catches my eye and then turns away. He's nowhere in sight when I enter through the backdoor, and I briefly wonder if seeing me spooked him out of the house.

But then I hear the bathroom door open, and a moment later he stalks out. His shoes are missing and I notice he's changed into a pair of low-slung sweat pants. His t-shirt is hugging his biceps in a way that makes me jealous, and his hair has lost its professional business-like shine.

I quirk a brow at his appearance and then glance up towards the clock that hangs in the dining room. It's barely time for lunch, and yet, Seth's already back from work. A sudden spike of fear slithers through my circulatory system, and I take a step in Seth's direction. The movement halts him in his pursuit of the kitchen and he eyes me suspiciously.