one

"Zayn, my office," my boss, Alex says as he walks past my door. I take my hands off my keyboard and get up from my chair.

I walk out of my office and make my way around my office building. I nod and greet people as I go and finally make it to Alex's office.

Being the top writer for UK WEEKLY, I get the second biggest office in the building; right behind my boss.

I am lucky because not many people are given the opportunity I received a few weeks ago.

I knock on the doorframe and wait, watching Alex look intensely at his computer, probably reading someone's article. He looks up and smiles, making his blue eyes shine.

"Zayn, my man, close the door and take a seat," Alex says and I do what he says.

I sit in the seat right in front of his desk that is overlooking the city through the huge window that is behind Alex.

"So Zayn, how are you?" Alex asks, intertwining his fingers and setting them in front of him as he leans forward onto his desk.

"Fine, and you?" I ask.

"Good good, so I was wondering what you're working on right now," Alex trails off and looks at me.

"I have a clean slate sir, just working on editing a few of Martha's articles." I reply proudly.

Alex smiles and chuckles lightly. "Perfect. And you know why Zayn?" he inquires. "No sir," I reply. Alex smiles. He looks around his desk for something and then beams when his eyes lay on a small packet of papers.

He picks the packet up and slides it across the desk towards me.

I have to scoot the chair forwards and lean forwards to see the top page. I look up confused.

"So, I'm guessing that your thinking, 'Why in the hell are you giving me this,'" Alex laughs.

I laugh a little.

"Well, you're young Zayn. And Myra got sent an email from a girl asking what it was like to be popular. You know, in high school," Alex says and glances down at the packet of papers. "So I immediately think of you because A, you're young, so you fit perfectly; and B, you're the top.

"Okay, so you want me to pretend to be a high schooler and just wham; be popular?" I ask, still confused.

Alex chuckles.

"Zayn, here's what I was thinking," Alex says.

"This girl who wrote us, I assume, isn't popular. Do you get that vibe?" Alex asks looking at me with his head cocked.

I nod after a second of thinking.

"Okay so I want you to experience what she's experiencing. Not being popular." Alex says.

It clicks.

I smile and chuckle. "It sounds perfect. But how will I know how it is to be popular if I'm not going to be?"

Alex chuckles again. "Oh Zayn, my boy, your going to figure that out yourself. Your starting tomorrow at Woodland High, just down the street. Everything's set, just walk in the office, get your schedule. We have arranged for your name to be different because kids and the adults may know that your a writer for UK WEEKLY, so be prepared. Also, wear your glasses the first few weeks. Stay low on the radar. Make sure you come off as: nerd."

I smile and stand up. I walk out of Alex's office with the packet in my hands and turn back before I exit to say, "See you when I'm popular,"

---

I unlock the door to my flat. As I start to step in and hear a familiar voice behind me.

"Hey Zayn!" "Sam! haven't seen you in a while!" I call across the street to my neighbor.

"Yeah lad, you need to come over for a game soon. Hosting one in 'bout a week!" Sam says with a smile. "I need to go inside, it's freezing out here but see you soon!" I call. Sam nods, waves, and goes into his flat. I enter mine, and close the door quickly.

I shiver and rub my hands together as I walk over to my heater.

In the dead of winter when it's freezing out, my heater dies sometimes. Probably something I need to get checked soon.

I groan as I press the button, hoping a miracle will happen and the heater will turn on but of course, it doesn't. I shiver and walk right back outside into the freezing air.

It wasn't snowing, surprisingly, but snow covered the ground and I could see a big puff of air when I breathed.

A bar was located a two minute hiked from my front door; one reason I bought the place.

When I enter, the stench of cigarettes hits me and I cough a little. I've smoked before but after my girlfriend, Mia left me because she was tired of my addiction, I have made it a goal to stop.

Yeah, the bar full of people smoking probably wasn't the best way to try to quit but it's warm in here and there's alcohol.

"Hey Zayn, what can I getchya?" a bartender asks when I take a seat behind the bar. "Do you really need to ask Matt," I ask with a laugh. Matt chuckles and leans over to punch me in the shoulder jokingly.

"Ok, a Mr. Malik coming right up," Matt says and starts getting my drink ready. "So, what's going on at work mate? Haven't been around as much," Matt says as I watch him.

I laugh. "Sorry Matt that four times a week here isn't enough for you," "Nah, man it's a big difference from six days a week," Matt shrugs.

"Well, today I just got a big project so, I'm so excited to start it." I say. Matt looks up and smiles. "Oh, your boss really likes you," he says, handing me my drink.

I take a sip and moan. "Ugh, hits the spot bud, thanks,"

"Yep," Matt says.

Matt and I talk as people come and leave. I'm always surprised how Matt still has his job because of all the talking, him and I do almost every day for about two hours.

Its almost ten and I have downed three drinks when I look at my watch.

"Shit, Matt I need to go to school tomorrow," I say and jump out of my chair. "Ok Zayn, just remember the game this weekend!" Matt shouts with a laugh as I run out the door.

---

I pull into the parking lot of Woodland High. Kids are walking in groups and alone. Some are sitting down and on their phones.

I park my car in the first available spot I could find. I grab my big hiking backpack from the passenger seat and climbed out of my car.

In my mind, a big backpack shouted NERD.

I walked across the lot, getting stares from a lot of kids. Also, received many snickers.

Probably because I wore my nerdy glasses, which in fact I love them, and a pair of saggy cargos and a flannel shirt with frayed ends. I had greased my hair back all nice and as unlike me as possible.

When I was in high school, I was one of those kids that snickered and now, well, now I get to experience the other side. Great.