12. Home

Kayla Reigns

It's about 11 when I pull into my driveway. My house is simple, nothing fancy. Colby is once more sleeping against the window. The other two are still sleeping soundly in the back seat. I don't get how they can sleep so well in a car.

"Rise and shine, we're home." I yell. They all jolt awake and I chuckle.

Im sitting on my kitchen counter eating an apple while the boys raid my fridge for food.

"You really don't have much do you?" Colby says holding up expired milk.

"I haven't been home. I'll go shopping in a bit."

"I'm going to head home, Jon you are welcome to come with." Joe says, he gives Jon a pointed look.

"Yeah that would be great, it's been forever since I've seen Jo Jo." Jon replies shutting the fridge.

Colby and I decide to watch a movie. We grab whatever snacks I have and curl up on the couch. The movie ends and Colby starts looking for a new one. My stomach rumbles, reminding me I haven't eaten much.

"I'm going to go and get some food. Any special requests?" I ask hopping off the couch.

"Eggs and bacon." He replies glancing at me then back to the tv.

"Ok I'll be back in a bit." I grab my keys and leave.

Im back about a hour and a half later. A few fans recognized me and asked for autographs. I put the groceries away and walk into the living room. Colby is sleeping on the couch, his mouth slightly parted as he snores. I sit back down and select a new movie, 'Don't Breathe.' I've always loved horror movies. The first gun shot goes off in the movie and it wakes Colby up. I can't help but laugh at the confused look on his face.

"I'm disgusted to call you my sister. You are tainting our bloodline. You are worthless." Joe hisses at me.

His face distorted with rage. His fists clenched by his side. He spits at the ground and turns away. Light flashes and there's someone else in front of me.

It's Jon this time. He just looks at me, the his face says it all. Disgust, disappointment, worthless. All things that he knows to be true about me.

He turns and walks away, which almost hurts more than  being confronted with the sharp words that I know he wants to say. Another flash of light and a new person.

Its me, laying in a heap on the ground. My hair is a mess, makeup is smeared all over my face. Bruises line my cheeks, my arms, my legs. I recognize this, I've seen myself like this many of times, at the hands of who I loved. I go to reach for myself then stop, light flashes and someone is standing in front of me.

"You are a horrible person. You deserve nothing in this life. I'm humiliated that I know you."

Tears are now streaming freely down my face. The words replaying in my head. I look into his beautiful brown eyes,  filled with so much hate.

"You don't mean that." I whisper, wishing it to all be a hoax.

"Of course I mean it. I mean look at you." He wrinkles his nose. "How could anyone ever love you."

"Wake up. Wakeupwakeupewakep." My voice changes if gets deeper, rougher, until it's not my voice at all ....

"Kayla! Hey, wake up." My eyes snap open, meeting the same brown ones I just saw filled with so much hate. I recognize my bedroom and remember where I am. "You're ok. I'm here." He pulls me closer to his chest.

I sit there crying in Colby's arms, unable to unsee my nightmare. He rubs his hands up and down my back, whispering sweet nothings in my ear.

"What was it?" He asks, pulling away from me to look into my eyes. I shake my head, not trusting my own voice. We sit for what seems forever, until he gets up to leave.

"Colby. Will you stay with me..." my voice trails off and I look down. I don't want to be alone again, I don't want that nightmare crawling back into my mind. His face softens as he looks at my tear stained cheeks.

"Of course. I'll always be here for you." He sits back down on the bed next to me.

He wraps his arms around my waist pulling me closer to him. I rest my head on his chest, listening to the rhythm of his heartbeat. The cold starts to seep out of my body. It feels right laying in his arms.

Sleep starts to creep back into my mind. The steady beat of his heart lulling me to unconsciousness. His hand going up and down my back making me feel as though nothing can hurt me. Then he starts humming, quiet melodies of forgotten songs.

I wake up to Joe opening my door. "Hey wake up."

I wave him off with my hand. His eyes widen in surprise, then I realize what he's seeing. His bestfriend in bed with his sister. He just chuckles and shuts the door. I hear a muffled "You won. I owe you."

I unwrap Colby's arms from my waist. He looks so peaceful when he's sleeping. I quietly walk out of the room, closing the door behind me. And walk down the stairs to face the teasing I know I'm going to get.

It feels good to be home.