1. Freak

1. Freak

Josh ran, his legs powering as fast as they could go. His legs ached, his arms ached, his whole body ached. Panting for breath, Josh continued to sprint despite the burning feeling in his chest and the hard beating of his heart, banging in his chest like a drum.

He didn't know how long he had been running for, or how long he could keep this up.

Fear crept through his veins, acting as the only factor that kept him running.

He swiped at the hanging branches, shoving his way through the leaves of trees and bushes. It was late at night, and the moon was high in the sky. The sky itself was a midnight blue, and faint stars twinkled against the darkness.

Josh couldn't see anything infront of him, but he knew he'd run into the woods to try escape his pursuers. But he was too loud, the constant rustling of nature, his heavy breaths and the thumping of his feet on the dirty earth gave away his position to the men following him. He could hear them, and they scared him.

He didn't exactly blend in, he stood out massively in the darkness.

Despite the black clothing, all as dark as the deepest night, he didn't remain hidden. Josh had dark eyes, dark hair but what made him stand out was his skin. His ghostly pale, glowing skin that shone almost as bright as the moon.

Josh was a supernatural being, he manipulated dark arts and used them as a source of power. People hated him for it, and thus, he was always on the run. He'd never been caught until now, these people had been hunting him for years and now they'd finally found him.

So many questions floated through Josh's mind:

"What do they want with me?"

"What will they do?"

"How did they find me?"

"Where will I go?"

"Are there others?"

Josh slowed himself to a jog, before stopping behind a large tree trunk and sliding to the bottom, where he sat in a heap. His back rested against the bark, his legs pulled up to his chest and he wrapped his arms around them, squeezing his knees to his chest. He put his head down, and began to catch his breath.

He knew, like his pursuers, that he couldn't run forever. He needed a plan, and he needed to think of one fast.

Josh shivered in his black jumper, realising how cold it was.

"Why me?" He mumbled to himself through heavy breaths, his voice cracking "Why me?"

Josh squeezed his legs tighter, he was scared, lonely and cold with nowhere to go. He was stuck, and his hunters were closing in quick.

"Come here, freak!" A deep voice called from somewhere among the trees.

"We ain't gonna hurt ya!" Another yelled "Just wanna play a game!"

They were close to him, and their harsh words and rough tones only frightened Josh more. It didn't take him long to realise that he had no escape route; the pursuers were beginning to circle his position.