three

I was sleeping when Liam arrived. After hearing some disturbance going on downstairs with Ryan, I assumed that it was a few of his friends that had turned up for the afternoon.

However, I was wrong.

He gently opened and the closed the door, pulling back the covers on my bed and sliding in beside me. I instantly knew it was Liam as he entered my room. I recognised his footsteps and as he grew closer to me, his scent.

He wrapped his arms around my body, pulling me into his chest and placing a kiss on my jaw, whispering something into my hair that I didn't quite catch, but at that moment I didn't care. I was enjoying having him close to me.

I didn't remember falling back asleep, but when I awoke, it was dark outside and Liam was still beside me, hanging off the side of the bed, myself taking all the covers, as usual.

"Liam," I whispered, shaking him lightly.

He groaned, rolled over and then groaned again. I watched, smiling as he rubbed his hands over his eyes and propped himself up on his elbows, looking around as if he had no idea where he was.

"What time is it?"

"Half 5, you want a drink?"

Liam just laughed and lay back down, smiling up at me in that way he always did when he wanted me to know that he was sorry.

"Come back here, you."

In my head, I told him no. I told him how I felt and that I couldn't cope with him going off with other girls for much longer, leaving me by myself.

But of course, that wasn't what happened.

I lay down beside him and pressed my head against his chest. He ran his fingers gently through my hair, his body smelling of alcohol and some old cologne he probably took from Noel.

I felt appreciated when we spent time alone, it was the time apart that was slowly breaking me down, but Liam didn't know that. Nobody did.

"Dinners ready!"

Nobody apart from David.

"What's he doing here?" Liam said, pulling his t-shirt back on and picking his jeans up from the floor as I did the same.

"He's Ryan's friend, he's round here a lot. They all are."

Liam muttered something under his breath, but I didn't bother to listen. I knew what he thought of my brother and my brother equally made it no secret how he felt about Liam, which sometimes made times like this when we were all together rather awkward.

"Be nice, please?" I said, stopping at my door before we left to go downstairs.

Liam looked down at me, grabbing me by the waist and pressing his lips against my own all of a sudden.

"Anything for you, darling."

We walked downstairs and into the kitchen. It looked like Nicky had prepared us all dinner since none of the others could cook at all.

Sitting down at the table, I opted for a seat next to Gary, Liam sitting at the head of the table, opposite Ryan at the other end.

Dinner was filled with small talk, and I noticed how David tried hard to incorporate Liam into the conversations as much as he could, as oppose to Ryan who was doing his best to exclude him.

"Hope yous weren't doing the dirty upstairs." Paul said, grinning at me but noticeably avoiding eye contact with Liam.

"Not in my house they fucking won't, not in anybody's house if I had my way." Ryan answered, narrowing his eyes at Liam across the table, who just politely, though incredibly sarcastically smiled at him.

"We just slept, I was tired." I said, not that anybody listened.

The doorbell rang and instead of Ryan jumping up to answer it, I left him to face Liam as I excused myself to see who was at the door.

Opening it, I saw Noel stood there. Dressed in baggy jeans and a polo shirt, his hair was messy and he had dark circles underneath his eyes. He looked like shit.

"Are you alright Noel? You look..."

"Yeah I'm sound, love. Liam told me to come and pick him up at six."

"Come in, we were just finishing tea."

I closed the door behind Noel and he followed my into the kitchen, silence falling amongst the group of boys as they all saw who had arrived.

"Why'd you let him in?"

"Ryan!"

Sometimes, I despised my brother. Although I loved him very much, I couldn't quite understand why for at least a tiny fraction of the time, he couldn't just be civil with Liam and Noel, for my sake.

So for that, I didn't comment on the intense glare that Noel sent my brother, who diverted his eyes away and back to his food immediately.

I made Noel a coffee whilst he waited for Liam to finish eating. The atmosphere at the table was tense when it was silent, but just like normal when Ryan and his friends were talking amongst themselves. It was only when I looked and saw Liam staring down at his plate by himself that I felt a pain in my chest.

Yes, he hurt me sometimes and yes, he made me incredibly sad. But the times when he tried his best and got nothing back from Ryan made my heart break, because he made more of an effort than Ryan ever did for my sake.

"Thanks for the food, mate, was nice." Liam nodded at Nicky who graciously gave him a friendly nod back.

He grabbed his coat and slung his over his shoulders, Noel placing his mug down in the sink as the three of us left the kitchen and walked out into the hallway.

"I'll wait out in the car, nice to see you again Brit, still looking gorgeous." Noel winked at me.

"Fuck off, dickhead." Liam said, pushing his brother out the front door as he laughed loudly.

I just smiled, my cheeks blushing as I looked up at Liam's bright blue eyes. He looked sad, remorseful and apologetic.

Liam never really said sorry for anything. I could tell from the moment I met him that he would never admit he was wrong, nor would he ever apologise for being himself. He would just tell you in some other kind of way.

"You know I do stupid shit sometimes, but I'd be nothing without you. You know I fuckin' love you, Brit."

Sometimes I felt like Liam thought I was just the type of girl that he needed, not at all what he wanted.

"Brit do you-" David said, walking around the corner, "Fuck, sorry."

And sometimes I felt like maybe I needed a kind of man like David, someone that would always worship me like when me and Liam were alone. But I always ended up falling for the type of man like Liam, and that was my downfall.

"Right, I'll be off now." I could tell Liam didn't want to talk anymore, and neither did I. We were both finished, for now.

He kissed me one last time before walking out the door, closing it behind him.

%%%%%%%%

please comment your thoughts, i'd love to know if you're enjoying this story so far! things will pick up with the plot soon, don't worry, it gets a little more interesting :)

-eva