twenty three

"Whatever that is, make it shut the fuck up."

Squeezing my eyes shut tightly, I forced myself to open them, fluttering my lashes as I woke myself up, slowly adjusting to my surroundings.

Liam's room.

Nothing had changed. His wallpaper was still City blue and the same pictures were hung on the wall, his desk littered with scraps of paper and his guitar was propped up in the corner, the floor covered in a scattering of our clothes.

Their home had a warm, clean scent that reminded me of freshly washed clothes, making me feel relaxed and at ease. It was if I'd never been away and the last year hadn't happened.

I squinted, scanning the room until I spotted my phone on the floor. Grabbing it, the ringtone stopped as soon as I reached it.

Missed call (7)
Ryan

"Shit." I muttered under my breath, knowing he was going to be seething at me for not telling him where I had gone after the event last night.

I called him back, wearily holding the phone to my ear as I waited for him to answer.

To my right, Liam had drifted back off to sleep, his chest rising and falling underneath the grey quilt cover, his hair a mess. I smiled.

"Brit I've been ringing you for ages!" Ryan eventually picked up the phone.

"I know, I'm so sorry I'll explain everything when-"

"No I'm not arsed where you are Brit, I've got a problem and I need your help, can you come home quick?"

Startled by his lack of concern over my whereabouts, I told him I'd be home as soon as I could, he refused to tell me what was wrong over the phone.

Sliding out of bed, I pulled on my dress from last night, tieing my hair up into a ponytail.

"That it then, you leaving me for another year now?"

I stopped gathering my belongings from the floor when Liam spoke. Turning round, I was met with a smile. Liam rarely smiled, and it'd been so long since I saw him look happy I'd forgotten how much it lit up his face, making a change from how miserable he usually looked.

"My brother rang, he said he needs me home, I think somethings happened."

He nodded, looking me up and down before beckoning me over to him. I perched on the end of the bed, only for him to pull me down next to him, my face inches away from his own.

"You are the most beautiful girl in the world, Britney Giggs."

I blushed as he looked at me and I felt my eyes divert downwards, feeling somewhat intimidated by his gaze. He gently placed his finger under my chin, lifting my head back up so my eyes met his. Smiling again, he let out a quiet chuckle before kissing me softly, his lips lingering on mine for a little longer than they should.

"I have to go," I said, standing up and grabbing my shoes off the floor, "I'll see you later Liam."

"Yeah," he grinned, "You will."

I closed the door to Liam's room and made my way down the stairs as quietly as possible, hoping Noel wasn't awake yet. I'd been successful at being silent until my foot hit a creaky floorboard once I reached the foot of the stairs.

"Has the bastard not even offered to make you breakfast? I'm so sorry love I - Brit?"

Noel walked out of the kitchen and into the hallway, taking a double take as he saw me, his eyes widening and his brows furrowing at the sight, which was clearly not what he was expecting.