sixteen

"Where's Damon?" I asked, my eyes darting around the crowded room to see if I could spot him or at least hear his laugh above the chatter.

"Got caught by interviewers," Alex said, placing a hand on my shoulder, "Let's get a drink yeah?"

Admittedly, I felt lost without Damon. Though I was very much an independent person, this was not my scene in the slightest, especially when my date had disappeared.

Graham was stood a little further away, chatting to a blonde woman that had caught his eye, and I was pretty sure Dave had gone home, leaving just Alex and I, the management crew also deciding to call it a night after the awards show had finished.

The club was crowded, full of people both from the awards and also Londoners who enjoyed a drink and a dance on a Monday evening. It was hot, sweaty, and I had started to regret agreeing to this after party dressed in a ball gown whilst it seemed most people were in jeans and a tshirt.

"He'll be back soon, don't worry." Sending me a reassuring grin, Alex handed me a vodka coke and then a shot, his eyes lighting up as he saw the disappointment reflecting in my own.

"Don't be boring, Brit."

Rolling my eyes, Alex and I tapped the glasses together before throwing the liquid down our throats. I coughed, feeling like it was burning my insides, realising it was tequila that he had bought for us.

The two of us watched Graham for a while as he desperately tried to work his magic on the blonde, but she seemed to be proving harder work than he originally though, letting out a noticeable sigh of frustration every now and again, making us chuckle.

I carried on looking round the room to see if Damon had got here yet, but I had no such luck.

"Come on," Alex took my hand, pulling me away from the bar and to the middle of the dance floor.

Feeling the alcohol start to go to my head, I quickly loosened up, becoming more comfortable and dancing with Alex like I was eighteen again in a dingy nightclub in Manchester, only this one was far more expensive.

Downing a couple more drinks, I slowly started to enjoy myself. Though I was incredibly hot, exhausted and was convinced my hair and makeup had taken a turn for the worst, I had a smile on my face.

Alex and I danced for what felt like minutes, but it had turned out to be a lot longer, and a lot more drinks later, when Graham came and grabbed the both of us, telling us it was time to go.

The three of us spilled out onto the streets of London, Graham clearly failing with the blonde as she was nowhere to be seen. The air was cold and the sky was a dark ebony, stars twinkling amongst the glow coming from hotel rooms and high rise buildings that cut into the blackness.

My vision blurry and senses losing their reliability, I wandered over to the side of the curb, hugging my arms across my chest.

"Here love take this, you look freez - Brit what you doin' out here?"

For the second time that evening, I had managed to bump into Liam. I didn't object as he hung his jacket over my shoulders, his arms now bare to the elements.

"Thanks". I mumbled, avoiding eye contact and trying to work out how I managed to lose Alex and Graham within a couple of seconds.

"Where's your fella?"

"I have no idea." I said, my eyes still scanning the streets, watching people fall into one another, argue with taxi drivers and desperately try to find someone of the opposite sex to take home for the night.