twenty five

I was sat huddled on the sofa when I heard a knock at the door to my apartment. I immediately jumped to my feet, rushing to the door and pressing my eye to the spy glass just to make sure. My heart settled when I saw Damon on the other side of the wood.

Damon just looked at me as I swung open the door. He hesitated for a moment, words lingering on his lips as he stared, but nothing was said. He just blinked, his mouth slightly ajar.

Seeing him stood in my doorway dug up another feeling of sickness, only this one was more welcomed. I swallowed, my eyes glassy as I looked up at Damon.

"God, Britney."

He walked into the apartment, immediately pulling me into his grasp and closing the door with his foot as he held me tightly to his chest, his lips pressing against my head over and over again.

Even if it was only for a split second, as I felt the warmth of Damon's body and the scent of his clothes, his breath tickling my skin, I forgot why I'd even called him here in the first place.

The two of us sat down on the sofa and Damon pulled me closer to him, grabbing a blanket and wrapping us both tightly in its warmth. He placed an arm around my shoulder and turned to face me, his eyes filled with concern.

"You're safe now." He said softly, his thumb gently wiping away a stray tear that had managed to run down my cheek.

I just nodded, taking a deep breath.

"Talk to me, what happened?"

It took me a while, but I managed to recall the events of earlier on to Damon. The entire time, I cried, feeling everything I described all over again, forcing myself to relive the pain and fear I'd already felt enough to last me a lifetime.

Damon never took his eyes off me while I spoke. I felt his fingers gently tickle the skin on my shoulders and run through my hair, soothing me as I tried to calm myself down.

I hadn't spoken to Damon in a long time, and going from no contact to having him sat cradling me like a child as I cried was a strange situation for me to get my head around.

Though, I was more grateful to him than I could ever put into words.

That night, I asked Damon to stay with me. He was adamant he would sleep on the sofa, but it didn't take much for me to persuade him to crawl under the covers beside me.

Although still distressed, the sensation of Damon's bare chest against my back with the duvet tucked under my chin eventually began to slow my heartbeat.

The last thing I remember feeling was Damon's kiss upon my neck before I drifted off to sleep for what felt like a few seconds, which was crudely interrupted by the sound of my alarm pulling me from my slumber.

"You don't have to go to work you know, they'd understand."

I sipped my coffee as Damon and I sat at my breakfast bar, one of us was dressed, the other in no more than a pair of blue boxers.

I sighed.

"I know, but I need to make a good impression. I only just started."

Damon nodded, understanding.

It felt nice having Damon around. The reason he and I split up hadn't crossed my mind once since he turned up at my doorstep, and I was thankful that I was able to enjoy his presence without constantly reminding myself of the sadness he'd made me feel before.

"At least let me walk you there. And I'll walk you home after. I don't want you not feeling safe."

I agreed without hesitation. The last thing I wanted to do was walk anywhere by myself, let alone the same route as yesterday.