twenty four

//TW: not detailed or graphic but if you have any kind of issue with the topic of assault in any form please skip this chapter!//

Three weeks had passed since Liam and I had slept together, and three weeks since I received the note and record from Damon. Liam had been in touch, trying to see me again, but I had been otherwise engaged.

Ryan had moved Stacey into the house, the mother-to-be of his child. The two of us had a long conversation about it and in the end, we both came to the conclusion that it would be best for her to live with Ryan, as the pair were going to try and make it work.

It wasn't in mine nor Ryan's plans for me to move out of the house, and he desperately tried to convince me that it would be fine for me to carry on living in the home, but I decided that it was time for a change. I didn't want to get in the way of Ryan and Stacey's relationship, and truthfully, it was time for the both of us to live apart. We'd been living together for the entire 23 years of my life and it was a strange thought to imagine waking up and not hearing him swear loudly as he cracked an egg making breakfast, or fall up the stairs when he came in from a night out drunk, but it had run it's course, and Ryan being told he was becoming a father was the world's way of telling us that.

In just over two weeks, Ryan had found me a little apartment close to the offices that Manchester United housed their staff, which was where I was also starting my new job. It seemed as though everything was falling into place and a new chapter was starting in my life.

Though nothing was ever that simple for me.

I'd been living in my new apartment for a week when the first day of my new job rolled around. As much as I despised my previous job, it was strange to not be heading there on that Monday morning, not rushing for the tram stop but instead, walking across the quays to the new office block.

I thought I'd be a lot more nervous and yet, I was oddly calm. I reached the office 20 minutes before I was due to start work, walking into the foyer and greeting the receptionist with a smile who directed me to the main office.

"Britney, so great to see you again, we're all looking forward to working with you."

I shook the hand of Henry, the gentleman who'd conducted my interview and was now my new boss. He was a tall, lanky man with blonde hair and a 5 o'clock shadow, I guessed in his early thirties.

He took me round the office and introduced me to everybody before showing me my desk and giving me all the details for my computer.

The day seemed to fly by as I started to get to grips with my new job. Henry was incredibly tolerant which made learning things much easier when he corrected my mistakes in a friendly manner rather than an undermining one.

I picked things up rather quickly, seemingly fitting in straight away. This new role in marketing was far more enjoyable than my previous job, and I had Ryan to thank for getting me a foot in the door here.

"Britney, isn't it?"

I looked up from my desk as I shut down my computer, packing my things into my bag as the clock stuck 5.

"Yeah, that's me." I said with a smile.

"I don't think we've met," a young man stood before me, no older than 25. He was around 5'10 with dark blonde hair and brown eyes, dressed in a suit that looked like it had seen better days, "I'm Luke."