Chapter Five: Attack

C H A P T E R F I V E:
A T T A CK
Shea is above in the picture

    "Hey Rayna! There's someone I want you to meet." My brother called out to me as he starting walking over with an unfamiliar girl.

"This is Shea, my mate." A smile lit up her face as she looked at him.

"It's so nice to meet you! Alec here told me everything he could about you two when you were kids. I'm so happy he found you."

Instantly my wolf and I liked her, she was nice and genuinely was happy to be meeting me.

I put my hand out for her to shake, but she didn't shake it back. Instead, she looked at my hand and then back at me before pushing it away and hugging me. As weird as it sounded, she smelled nice, like vanilla and peach.

Not expecting it, I stand there for a second and awkwardly hug her back, I wasn't a fan of hugs.

"Nice to meet you too, I'm glad my brother has a mate like you."

After the hug, Shea turned to my brother. "I'm gonna go, Beth and Clara are wanting to go out." She gave him a quick kiss and walked away.

He watched her as she left and not until she was out of his sight did he turn to face me.

"What's up with you and Aaron?"

I snapped my eyes up and looked at him. "Nothing is up with your Alpha and I, why would you think that?"

He looked at me as if he knew I was lying to him. "I don't know, he just seemed weird around you."

Alec sighed, running a hand through his messy hair. "I know you're hiding something Rayna."

I took a step closer to him. "And how would you know?"

"Because you still bite the inside of your cheek when you're lying, you did it when you were little and you're doing it now." A grin lit up on his face.

I scoffed. "That could just be a bad habit I have."

"A habit you have when you're lying." He was still grinning.

"Whatever." I say, rolling my eyes at him.

---

    Weeks went by and nothing had happened, no attacks had been made anywhere. I had continued to help train the King's men while trying to avoid him at the same time, currently he was away at a different pack only about an hour away trying to figure out the vampires next move.

My wolf was angry with me that I had been avoiding my mate but I couldn't be bothered.  We were in the middle of a war, there was no time for mates.

I was watching over everybody training when we heard someone yelling for help.

People stopped fighting and quickly looked in the direction the yells were coming from.

Through the crowd I could see two men, one being my brother and the other a guard on duty, carrying a boy that looked like he was only ten.

"We found him outside of the pack boundaries." The guard spoke up as they carried him to the pack house.

The boy they were carrying was badly injured. He had deep gashes that were going down to bone and bleeding bad.

"What happened?" I hear the third in command of Aaron's pack, who I found out was named Elliot, ask.

"We don't know! Like I said we just found him outside of the borders." The other guy holding him snapped.

I took a deep breath in, seeing if I can get any scent off of the boy, an uneasy feeling in my gut. One thing was for sure, he wasn't from this pack.

"He's bleeding out there isn't time for chit chat! We need to go to the pack doctor!" Alec commanded.

Even as they left, something still didn't feel right here. "You don't know this boy at all?" I turned to ask Elliot.

"Nope. Never seen him in my life." He stated.

"Do you know what pack he's from? He doesn't smell like any I've dealt with before."

Elliot shook his head. "No, he doesn't smell like anything familiar. Doesn't smell like any of the packs and doesn't smell like a rouge. Honestly, I don't even think he's a werewolf."

Gears were turning in my head. He didn't have a sent like a werewolf did, making me believe Elliot was right. But he looked like he was healing faster than a human should, with the wounds he had, he should've been dead if he was human.

"Then why are we letting him in here? Why not just kill him. If you hadn't noticed we are in the middle of something and he doesn't look like he can be saved."

Elliot's eyes locked onto mine. "For all we know, he escaped from something or someone and may have information."

I looked at him and then turned to where the pack doctors stayed before sighing.

"Fine, we'll talk to him later. Right now we are going to where they found him."

We walked together in silence, following the scent of blood left behind by the boy.

I could tell we reached where they had found him when the strong smell of metal and fear hit my nose.

"Look for anything that could give us clue to what happened." I said as I looked around.

It had been a few minutes of searching and neither of us had found anything except blood on the forest floor from the boy.

"Maybe we should just head back, obviously there isn't anything here." I sigh.

"I guess. It's still weird, I smell something different, something I've smelt before and someone else's blood." Elliot said as he looked around one last time.

Taking another breath in, I try and focus on the smells. First I smell blood, lots of it, it's strong, almost so strong I can't smell anything else, and next I smell fear.

Then I smell it, and I knew what Elliot was talking about.

"Is it the guard maybe?" I asked, trying to pinpoint where it was coming from.

He shook his head. "I doubt it, this doesn't smell like a guard, and usually guards aren't scared."

"It could've been the boy they brought in, if I was his age I'm pretty sure I would get scared if I almost died."

Elliot shrugged. "I guess."

Taking steps back so I can look around once more I realize I made a mistake, I was on a steep hill.

Not having anytime to react, I quickly go tumbling backwards, getting assaulted by twigs and rocks on my way down.

My fall is stopped when I land on something, and the familiar scent that was hidden behind the fear that I could smell before is stronger than ever.

It's then I know what it was, vanilla and peach.

My eyes grow wide as I scramble off what I now know is a body, Shea's body, Shea's dead body.

Word Count:
1255
———————————————————————————
Author's Note:
Wow another SHORT chapter finally. I know this one kind of sucks it was kind of hard to come up with something to happen since my brain is still recovering from exams hah.. anyways if you enjoyed remember to vote. I know this is super short and not that put together and I promise the next one will be longer and way better, I just felt I needed to get a chapter up for you guys.
-mae