thirty-two

Grayson's POV

Suddenly everything went completely silent, black, all movement around me slowed down to an excruciating pace. I could feel my pulse pounding through my body, and escaping in torrents through the open wound in my chest. 

In this moment I felt no pain, I felt no sorrow... I felt nothing. I was only amazed by everything that surrounded me. I looked down at my hand, and flexed it into a fist. I was amazed at how the muscles and nerves flexed back and forth perfectly and realized soon they wouldn't move anymore. I fell to the ground, a dull ache formed in my chest. I still couldn't hear anything and yet, somehow, I was still perfectly calm.

Daniella's POV

I heard the sound of Vivian pulling the trigger and Jack the Ripper scream. I winced at the sound of the gun and turned to look at Grayson. I found him on the ground, lying in a puddle of his own blood. My eyes widened with shock.

"Grayson!" I screamed as I ran over to him and held him in my arms.

The blood wouldn't stop. I ripped his torn shirt off my arm and put pressure,over the gunshot wound, on his chest with it.

"Daniella, I'm sorry..."

My tears landed on his pale face. "N-no... Grayson. Listen, just breathe, baby."

Life kept flowing out of him along with his blood. "Listen to me Daniella-" he began.

Vivian started laughing. "Haha, look. I took out your little boy-toy by mistake! It was like my destiny to kill him or something. Revenge is a bitch, Daniella, you should've never gone undercover."

I untucked the knife from my skirt. I held it by it's handle and threw it, hard, in Vivian's direction. I blade spun and struck her in the center of her stomach. She released a blood chilling scream as her legs gave out and she fell to her knees.

"Vivian!" her father screamed as he started to run over to her.

I knocked him out of the way. I ran my hands over Vivian's pockets, in one there was a cellphone. I dialed 9-1-1. I turned my attention back to Grayson. Jack was crying over Vivian's body.

"Hello? This is 9-1-1. What is your emergency?" Said a calm lady over the phone.

"We're at 893 Campbell Rd. Someone has been shot. Please," I cried. "Send help. Please. Hurry.

"Okay ma'am, how bad is the wound-" the lady began. I hung up, she wasn't going to tell me anything I didn't already know.

I bent down and held Grayson in my arms again. With his last ounces of strength he held my hand in his.

"Daniella-" he began.

"No, Grayson, no good-bye's, you're going to be fine. We're going to be fine. You're going to get help and then we're going to go home." I sobbed. "You're going to teach me how to snowboard, like you promised, and we will go to the beach too."

"How? It's winter." Grayson laughed lightly.

"It doesn't matter," I cried. "We'll buy a house together and w-we'll be happy. Maybe a few years down the line we'll have a few kids and watch them fall in love like we did. We'll grow old together and laugh when we can't touch our toes anymore."

"That sounds... amazing." Grayson whispered smiling. His eyes twinkled but, it was still clear he was in pain. After a few seconds the twinkle left his eyes and his smile faded.

"Shit. Grayson, please." I sobbed. "Don't leave me..."

"Never, I'll always be with you." He said. "I'll always be right by your side, b-because," Blood started to spew from his nose. He coughed up blood. "I-I..." he was cut off again by another cough.

"Grayson." I cried. "I- I can't live without you."

"Well, y- you're going to have to," he said.

My heart shattered but, I still loved him with all the pieces.

"Listen to me Daniella Qui-," he coughed again, this one worst than all the previous. "It's only you, my-  *cough* It-it's- I *cough* Daniella, I- I love---"

I saw his eyes flutter shut. "Grayson." I said. His grip on my hand loosened until it was non-existent. "Grayson!" I repeated. I heard sirens in the background but, they were too late. "Gray-, GRAYSON !" I screamed.

I felt my whole body weaken. I let myself break down and start to sob hysterically into his chest. I held his body in my arms for the last time. I heard footsteps above us but, I just wanted everyone to disappear. I just wanted to have one last moment with him. My whole entire body felt numb as each memory of him flooded back to me. Every moment we spent together. Every breath we shared. Every touch.

I sobbed into his chest, my hands clutching at his bare skin. I held him in silence, rocking him slowly as my tears soaked his chest. My soul gave me a break, letting me pull away to look back at Jack the Ripper who had slit his wrists. I blinked my lashes that were heavy with tears, before I collapsed again, my break was over. My guilt and pain came in like ocean waves, hard sobbing broken apart by short pauses for recovering breaths. My sobs punched through, ripping through my bones, muscles and guts. 

The pain was completely unbearable.

I saw the flashing red and blue lights outside. I heard the officers make their way down the stairs. Everything was blurry, hazy, it felt like a dream. I wished it was a dream.

"Grayson, I love-" An officer grabbed my arm, interrupting me. "NO!" I screamed. "GRAYSON, I LO-" My heart ached and longed for Grayson desperately. His smile. His laugh. His touch. Him.

"Come on ma'am, You need to go. Who is this man? You have the right remain silent."

An officer tried to take Grayson out from my arms. "STOP! PLEASE! NO, GRAYSON!" I cried. "STOP! PLEASE!"

Two officers took me by the arms and dragged me away. "NO! STOP! PLEASE! YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!" I fought.

"Ma'am calm down. You are resisting arrest. That is illegal, we can and will charge you."

"PLEASE! Wait! Please! JUST ONE MORE MINUTE!" I begged. "Just give me a moment with him. Just a minute. I never got the chance to tell him that I loved h,"

"No ma'am. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of law. You have the right to an attorney, if you can't afford one---" 

The officers continued to pull me away from Grayson and up the stairs. I fought but, it was no use. I let myself disappear into a puddle of tears.

"It's only you, my love." I whispered. "It will only ever be you."