s e v e n

That Saturday, the day after the game, Zeke has to go to a party that the football players are throwing. He tells Max that they are celebrating their first game, and the fact that they won it. Being the captain, Zeke is obligated to go.

Amelia's going with him, because of the fact that Max can't (he has a broken ankle for fucks sake, school and the football games are pushing it) Zeke improvised.

After Zeke leaves with Amelia (they probably won't be back till like three in the morning, football parties are insane) Max takes it upon himself to be a productive little prodigy and do his homework for the first time in like one hundred years.

He only has two things. English and art. His two worst subjects. Colors and reading.

Fuck.

He already promised himself he'd do it, so he is going to. He is going to do this.

Max decides to get English out of the way first.

He sits down on the couch, his foot propped up on a pillow on the coffee table and The Little Mermaid playing on the TV. He has his bag beside him and his homework on a binder in his lap.

For English he has to do a thing where he has to read a passage and answer questions based on it. Reading comprehension. He can do this.

And he does.

Though the passage was boring. The making of carpets. Who the hell is intrested in carpets? The fuck?

But he did it, it is probably completely wrong and it may have taken him forty seven minutes despite the passage being fucking short as fuck.

Good. Self five.

However, it is the next thing he has to do that is the problem.

He has to literally identify all of the colors. What kind of cruel joke is this?

Miss Reeves had given them a paper and they have to draw a color wheel and color it in. Max's worst nightmare.

He has to fucking sort colors.

And blend them.

What the fuck?

He can't even remember what the color wheel looks like!

That's it. He's jumping out the window. Fuck his life.

Max groans, falling back into the couch and rubbing his face with his hands.

Miss Reeves had made sure they all have their own watercolor palette to keep at home, whether they bought it or she supplied it, for their homework. He gets it out and moves his leg to the floor, putting the paper on the the coffee table.

He opens up the palette, sets the brush next to it, and stares.

Max stares at the colors, trying to figure out which is which and what goes where, but he comes up empty. Sixteen years of living and he has no understanding of the color spectrum.

He hates himself for it, but in that moment all he can think is;

I wish Barnes was here.

Max literally picks up the pillow beside him and beats himself in the face with it.

He continues doing that until he doubles over and rests the pillow on his lap, before laying his head on top of it and closing his eyes. He needs a break, and maybe a few moments of self pity.

Why is he like this? Why can't he have normal eyesight? Literally all of his disabilities have something to do with his vision - except ADHD, but that isn't intense enough for him to worry about it, he doesn't even need medication.