t w e n t y t w o

Barnes lives in a pretty nice house. It has a dark roof and the actual house is also a dark color (though that may just be the fact that it's dark outside).

They just pulled up and Barnes gets out, to which Max follows. Barnes leads the way to the front door and Max is just following him, kicking a rock that he found on the ground. Max is kind of nervous. Most parents reasonably don't like him, but for some reason he really wants this lady to.

Barnes opens the door and he steps in, before making his way down the hallway. Max simply continues following him as he makes his way into a room that Max immediately recognizes as a kitchen.

In there he spots a lady. She has blonde hair (he's pretty sure, he gets blonde and red confused) just like Barnes. But Max notices that she also has dark eyes. And Max doesn't know exactly what Barnes' eyes look like, but they don't look like this lady's.

She makes her way over to Barnes, and gives him a hug.

Max just kind of stands there, looking around the kitchen. It is a nice looking kitchen. He's pretty sure it has a red theme, and it actually looks like the kind of kitchen you'd see in a catalog. It's pretty sweet, he also spots the cookie-brownie-things on the stove a few feet away.

Max then realizes exactly how hungry he is.

"And who is this?" He hears the lady ask, looking over at him. He turns to meet her eyes, and she gives him a hesitant look.

Well Max definitely doesn't look like most of the people Barnes probably brings home, so he can't blame her.

"That's Max."

The lady's eyes widen in realization, and Max feels confused.

"Oh my gosh! He's the one who keeps making you come home late!" She seems to feel proud that she remembered.

Max turns to glare at Barnes, even though he really doesn't know how to feel about this.

Barnes shrugs,"I may have told her."

Max wants to ask what exactly Barnes told her, but his mom talks before he can, "Okay, well I need you to help me give Charlie his medicine and then we can chat!"

His mom seems really cheerful.

Barnes just nods, and they do just that.

Max simply watches as they fill a thing up with some kind of medicine, and then Barnes' mom brings in a dog. His mom holds the dog in place as Barnes' puts the syringe thing in the side of the dogs mouth and shoots the medicine in.

And then they are done.

Max is standing there kind of awkwardly as they wash their hands and everything, and he's pretty bored.

When they finish, Barnes' mom looks over at him. "Oh! Sit down, I made food!" She looks kind of embarrassed that she left Max standing there

Max slowly nods, walking over to their little table as Barnes' mom starts pulling out a ton of food.

"I'm sorry, Max. Is it okay with your mom if you stay for dinner?"

"Yeah, Gina'll be fine." Max responds.

Barnes' mom seems a little taken aback. She probably thinks that Max calls his mom by her fist name, oh well.

Max sits down at one of the chairs, and Barnes takes the seat right beside him.

"Max, do you like chicken? And peas? And rolls?" She asks, before putting a bunch of food on the table. Max swears it's like fucking Thanksgiving.