t h i r t y t w o

Max jumps off of Barnes. Literally. He fucking leaps off of his lap and scoots as far away from him as possible. Well, as far as he can get in the bed.

Each of their eyes shoot to the doorway, where Max spots a familiar blonde. Clad in all her hippie clothes. And earrings that reach past her fucking shoulders that's not healthy.

But Barnes is frozen, much like the time that they got caught by Zeke.

Huh, okay. So it seems that Max is handling this one. Fantastic. Hopefully he doesn't make this terrible—and kind of awesome—situation even worse.

"Oh. Hey Lianne."

Yup, just made it worse. Judging by the way Lauren's eyes darken and her fists clench at her side and she looks like she wants to slaughter Max right then and there.

Okay, yeah. Bad move on Max's part. Noted.

Barnes seems to snap out of his stare down with his bed sheets, and looks up to meet Lauren's eyes as Max criss-crosses his legs and rests his elbows on his knees. Because he's about to enjoy the fucking show.

Alright, so he should probably be taking this seriously right now because this is probably counted as a very serious situation, but he's having a hard time doing that right now with Lauren's face flushing a bright red in anger and damn she looks like she's about to start throwing shit. Or cry.

Max doesn't care if she does either, he's counting this as payback for all the kissing and lovey bullshit that they used to pull when he had his leg broken and COULD BARELY FUCKING GO ANYWHERE.

Not that he's bitter or anything, but this is great. Even though Barnes is probably about to break it off again with Max and go live out the rest of his heterosexual life with Bitchbag. And Max will cry himself to sleep daily.

But hey, what else is new?

Max really hopes Barnes doesn't do that, though. It's a shame that he probably will.

"L-Lauren, I-" Barnes starts and Max wants to see exactly what he will come up with this time, but then Lauren starts talking again.

No, fucking ranting.

"No! I don't want to hear it, Lewis. You know what? I knew this was happening. I called it!" And she begins rapidly looking between the two. "the way that you two look at each other, and- and that one time-" she settles her gaze on Barnes, "when I asked if you were done following Max around and you looked all sad!"

Max is trying—he swears he's trying—but he can't help it. He starts laughing his ass off and gains the attention of both of them. Lauren's gaze is full of pure rage while Barnes just looks like he's given up.

But the question here, is given up on what?

"And you-" okay, so she's pointing at Max now. "I know you told him about Trent! In fact, you have been trying to break us up from the very beginning-"

"Hey, woah-" Max says, standing and holding his hands up, "don't drag me into this, all I did was make out with your boyfriend a few times - and give him a blow job. Over there." He motions over to Barnes' desk, "Like, once." He argues, before looking over at Barnes.

Who just sighs and looks down at his lap, scratching the back of his neck.

Max smiles in satisfaction because this is fucking great and he's a terrible person, "well I'm gonna go," he's going to leave them to their soap opera episode, "it looks like you two have some shit you need to work out and so I'mma just-"