f o u r t e e n

Barnes and Lauren are doing it again.

Being all lovey-dovey and annoying as hell. Max is across the cafeteria at his table, holding his flask tight enough to dent it as his eye twitches spastically.

Okay. So maybe Barnes and Lauren being together kind of makes Max want to destroy her. He doesn't want to look into why, because he thinks he has an idea and he really does not want that to be true, so he's good with blaming it on intoxication.

"Uh Max, you good?" He hears Andy's concerned voice from across the table and straightens himself up.

Max looks back at Andy and rolls his eyes. "Yeah... I'm good, why~?" He crosses his arms. He notices that his words are kind of slurred.

"Because you're drinking like your life depends on it and glaring laser beams across the cafeteria."

It is then that Max realizes that he was drinking pretty heavily. Shit, and it's some pretty strong stuff.

He can feel himself getting looser and he realizes that, shit, he's pretty damn drunk.

How did he not notice this?

Despite his better judgement, he ends up finishing the flask by the end of lunch. And he's trashed. In the middle of the school day.

Max never throws up until the next morning, he's realized. For some reason he can get as wasted as he wants and not vomit, but if he goes to sleep then as soon as he wakes up, he'd better get to the bathroom.

He's pretty sure it's unhealthy but oh-fucking-well. So is drinking in general. When the bell rings, he stands up and falls against the table. "Ow... wha-" he shakes his head and blinks his eyes real fast.

"Uh, are you okay?" Max whips around and sees Barnes behind him, hand in hand with Lauren.

Stupid. Fucking. Lauren.

"What- of course I am!" He's pointing at them even as he feels his eyes getting droopy.

Oh. Whoops.

He hears Zeke beside him. "Max what the fuck, did you get wasted during lunch?"

Max whips around to face him, before laughing. "N-no, of course...not," he loses his balance and falls against the table. The room is spinning.

"What did you have in there?" Zeke crosses his arms when Max looks at him. "I have liquor or... something. Maybe..."

Zeke grabs Max's flask and Max is too disoriented to put up much of a fight. "I am confiscating this." He gives Max an assertive look. "The last thing you need is to be more fucking impaired."

Max laughs, attemting to boop Zeke's nose but failing horribly and stumbling against him. "You're no fun."

Zeke tucks the flask in his pocket before looking at Barnes and shrugging. "He's your problem now." And he leans Max against the table and walks away.

"H-hey! Give me my flask... dickbag..." he begins looking around for his crutches. In his search he accidentally puts some weight on his bad leg.

"Ow, goddammit!" He jumps away and blinks rapidly. He eventually looks up and sees Lauren looking at him like he is the fucking antichrist.

"Fuck! Where the fuck are my crutches?!" He shouts in frustration, ignoring the stares as he grabs his head. He averts his gaze to Barnes, who looks like he is so sick of Max's shit. Oh well, he signed up for this.

Barnes sighs exasperatedly, and turns to Lauren. "I'm sorry, but I need to get him home." She nods in understanding, though she still looks completely mortified at Max's behavior. Oh well. Most people are.