s e v e n t e e n

Max completely expects Barnes to shove him away and demand he get out of his car. To then go to the office and quit this whole volunteering thing.

To never talk to Max again and marry Lauren and become successful and have four children and die happy.

In fact, Max would have betted on it. A good amount of money (which he probably wouldn't have), too. He really wouldn't have been surprised if all of this blew up in his face and he cried himself to sleep.

But that's not what happened.

That's the opposite of what happened.

Max almost jumps away out of shock by what happens a few seconds after their lips meet.

Barnes kisses him back.

After their lips met, Barnes didn't do anything. Barnes froze. In fact, Max was about to pull away and leave the car in complete and utter awkwardness.

...but then Barnes kissed him back.

Max's mind turns to mush, and he is completely lost. If Barnes didn't want this, then he shouldn't have kissed back. Max has seriously stopped caring.

Max's heart almost leaps out of his chest when Barnes reaches up to tangle his hand into Max's hair, fingers tangling in the dark, unruly strands. Max tries not to make any sounds when Barnes pulls. He probably fails.

Max seriously had no clue how much he had wanted to have lip to lip contact with Lewis Barnes of all people, but here he is, wanting to go even fucking further and Max is just overall confused with himself. Nobody can blame him, either, since Max doesn't know many people that are more attractive than the man in front of him. Absolutely model worthy.

Valerie and Amelia were so wrong. Max may not have 'landed' Lewis Barnes, but they're making out in a car and that counts for something.

Max is even more shocked and confused when Barnes actually licks his bottom lip. Really, Max doesn't even think about it, he just opens his mouth and everything escalates and it gets way hotter in that fucking car.

Max moves his hand to the side of Barnes' face, and Barnes pulls Max's hair and Max makes a strange sound that he doesn't really care about because Barnes is making sounds too and it's just overall so fucking great that Max doesn't want it to end.

However, everything ends and so does the kiss—no, fucking make out session that has just taken place in Barnes' car.

They each pull away and it doesn't take but seconds for everything to come crashing down.

Maxwell Tucker, the school delinquent, just made out with Lewis Barnes, the school prodigy.

Fuck. The cows have come home, pigs can now fly. Anything impossible is now possible because there is no way that this just happened.

Holy shit.

And Max begins to panic.

"Oh shit!" Max shouts, jumping away to press his back against the passenger door, Barnes' hands falling out of his hair. Oh man, this is not good! It felt fucking fantastic but there are so many reasons why that shouldn't have happened that Max starts to feel dizzy.

Max begins hyperventilating and he feels like he's going to pass out.

There is no way this is going to end well.

"Max..." Max looks up to see Barnes with an unreadable expression.

Barnes just called him by his first name.