t w e n t y f o u r

Max did his best not to be awkward during their study session the next day, but that was honestly better said than done. Surprisingly, Zeke was able to act like nothing happened, which is an ability that Max is seriously envious of.

Afterwards, Max decides to do something incredibly embarrassing. But what else is new?

Valerie lives in his apartment complex, so he sets out to go to visit her. Eventually, he arrives, and knocks on the door.

"Oh, Max! Valerie is in her room." Valerie's mom answers after about like forty seconds. Max gives her a nod and walks down their bible verse covered hallway all the way to Valerie's room.

He knocks on her door.

"Mom! I told you that I'm cleaning!"

Max raises his eyebrows, before responding "Good for you."

A few seconds later Valerie opens the door and gives Max a look, "What do you want?"

She looks super annoyed but still steps out of the way for Max to come in, closing her door behind them.

"I just need to ask- how did you know that you like Harvey?"

He musters the courage to look up at Valerie who looks extremely caught off guard, before walking over to her closet that Max sees is incredibly messy.

"I mean... wait, why are you asking?"

"-no reason." Max may have responded a little too quickly, which is probably why Valerie abandons her closet and makes her way to sit by Max on her bed, a knowing smirk on her face.

Dammit. Real smooth, Max.

"Hmmmm..." she hums, leaning close to Max's face to gauge his reaction. "Could this possibly be about... Lewis?"

Max chokes out a laugh of pure denial, "Psh, no! He's a dick, this is about someone else- a girl!"

Valerie nods, pretending to believe his obvious lie but still answering, "Well, I guess I just started noticing him more and when he eventually asked me out based on our mutual sexual tension, I didn't even hesitate to say yes."

Max slowly nods, he definitely notices Barnes a whole lot more. And he's absolutely positive that if Barnes asked him out right now he'd definitely say yes... well, if he broke up with Lauren.

Shit, why is he comparing her answer to Barnes? MAYBE he's all of a sudden super attracted to... Lauren! Plot twist!

Yep! That's it, fuck everything he may have said whilst sexually aroused, he definitely has a thing for Lauren of course that makes sense because there's no way he could ever have feelings for Barnes because Barnes is a know-it-all good boy asshole! That he hates! Because Barnes is a dick.

"Oh... okay." Max doesn't really know how to respond to that, and he's kind of embarrassed that he had to ask Valerie, of all people, to help him identify his feelings.

Eventually Valerie kicks him out and even though Max likes to run from his problems, he decides that he and Barnes need to talk. Badly.

And after making it back to his room, sitting down with his phone in hand and his finger about to press Marco's, he loses all of the inspiration he had.

Goddammit, this is some bullshit! Just call him! Or call Marco's. How is it that they've had like three make out sessions and Max has even received a hand job, yet they still don't have each other's numbers?

He feels the overwhelming urge to drink.

No! Call Barnes before this shit eats you alive!

But it won't eat him alive if he gets drunk... or high.