t h i r t y f o u r

It turns out that going to dinner with Barnes' family when they know what is going on between the two is a lot worse than when they had thought they were only friends.

And, yes, Max is nervous.

Barnes is supposed to pick him up and drive him back, and yes Max feels like a girl but mostly because he is stressing about what the fuck to wear. Like a girl.

"Dude. Just wear what you usually do." Max hears Zeke's helpful voice from across their bedroom, likely tossing his football in the air or something. At least, that's what it sounds like.

Max turns around, eyeing Zeke who still isn't even looking up, "I can't just 'wear what I usually do', Zeke, they're my boyfriend's family."

"Haven't you met them before?"

"Yes but it's different now! We are together."

Yeah, okay, so maybe Max won't shut the fuck up about he and Barnes finally being official. And maybe Zeke is sick and tired of it, despite being a big reason it happened.

"I swear to God, Max, if you tell me that one more-"

"Barnes is my boyfriend!"

Zeke tosses the football to the floor, finally standing up, "that's it! I'm done, bye." And he makes his way towards the door, presumably to walk out very dramatically.

And Max panics, "wait, no! I need your help! Barnes is gonna be here in like five minutes!" Yes, he is getting dressed five minutes before he is set to leave. And Zeke is supposed to fucking help him so he doesn't look like a goddamn hobo.

But Zeke walks out the door and grabs his wallet and jacket, before making his way toward the hallway. "C'mon, Zeke? Please? You're my best pal-"

"We're related."

"-not the point! You're my best buddy," Max says as Zeke walks down the hallway and eventually reaches the front door, "and I'll stop! Okay, I just really need some help and I promise-"

Max cuts himself off when Zeke opens the door and Barnes is standing right there, in casual clothes—well as casual as it can get with Barnes—and his fist raised, obviously about to knock.

Max freezes mid sentence. Did Barnes hear his panicking? If so Max may as well just off himself right now because he'd rather fucking die than let Barnes know exactly how much he is affected by simply meeting his parents a third time.

And, woah, Max is nervous.

"Well," Zeke says, smiling and looking between the two of them with his hand still on the doorknob, "looks like your loverboy is here, ask him to help."

And he walks out, whistling as though he hadn't just left two blushing boys staring at each other in total awkwardness. Max feels underdressed. It's not that Barnes is particularly overdressed (clad in super nice jeans and his usual button up shirt), it's just that Max is wearing bright blue boxers and knee length Hello Kitty socks and one of Zeke's oversized old football shirts.

He was desperate, okay? He doesn't even know where the socks came from, cut him some slack.

"Oh, uh, I guess I got here a little early..." Barnes states awkwardly.

Max snaps out of the daze he'd been accidentally drawn into for a moment there, "oh- no, no you're fine..." damn, yeah, this is awkward.

Max scratches the back of his neck, pursing his lips. Wow, he does not know what to do. Should he just get up and find some random clothes? Should he fucking go in what he's wearing? Should he-