Chapter 1: Run

Today's the day; the day we celebrate once again. It's been 21 years since "The Final Day". The Final Day was the day Kakos fell to Iceland and became "The Vista". It was a horrible war. Good people fighting to stop death.

On "The Final Day", everyone has parties and cook-outs. When night falls, fireworks are shot all around. The sparks paint the sky blue and white with symbols of freedom and happiness. It's a beautiful night. People who lived through it always get emotional and sway in the embrace of loved ones. Even the younger kids partially understand. They know it's something serious. It's a day of pride. A day of endurance. It's a day that repowers our nation. Everything seamlessly comes together in perfection.

As a teenager, seventeen, I understand the significance of the day. I know what people went through. If I had been alive during that time, I wouldn't have made it out. I mean, there is just no way. To have to fight for your life, it's crazy. How did they do it? I appreciate the day. The day of success. The day of life.

My name is Vincent Easley, but my friends call me Vince. My parents have always said I'm smarter than others, but I don't believe it. They call me "mature". They say I always try to find a way to solve an issue and look at things positively. I just want everyone to have a chance. I mean, I would want someone to treat me that way. The truth is... I've never believed in myself. I've always been nervous when I'm asked a question, even if I know the answer. My family has always been my support team. My parents have always lifted me up when I am at my darkest.

I love to ask questions about our world. I've always found meaning in things. I like to look for the meaning of laughter. The meaning in the brightest stars. And today, I'm looking for the meaning of our celebration. Yeah, we've had one every year since I can remember, but what about today is special?

I am super excited for today's celebration. People are already at my house and hanging around. Family friends just chatting by the pool. Flipping burgers on the grill. Just relaxing in the sun and waiting for the fireworks show. Everyone is catching up with old friends. This is the day everyone puts the drama aside. Everyone devotes their time to remember the importance of what today is.

A few of my friends are playing pool with me in my favorite room of the house. It's bright from a panoramic wall of windows but the interior is chilled. It's on the third floor of the house and a balcony creates a beautiful view of the dense woods behind our house. The woods are thick. The dark tree trunks work together to hide the interior. The foliage adds to it. It's nature in a beautiful form. The beige walls and bleached carpet just make the room feel clean.

My friend, Titus Lee, breaks the pyramid of colored balls on the pool table just as Noah walks in from the balcony.

"My turn?" Noah asks.

"Nope. I knocked one in the corner pocket," Titus answers, pointing at his achievement. Titus is a football player for our high school. He is known as one of the best players on the team. Although he is not extremely built, he is very strong and knows how to move on the field. He does have a few bulging muscles, enough to scare you away from an arm wrestling contest. He's African-American and always gets the girls. They just melt when they see his piercing blue eyes mixed with his dark hair. Well, his eyes are blue today. Sometimes they're green.

Noah Salinger is a grade below us. He's really tall and super skinny. He's maybe an inch taller than me. He's sixteen and is known as the fastest soccer player at our school. He has already had colleges looking at him. Soccer takes up a lot of his time, so Titus and I haven't seen him much lately. I don't know how I made friends with such sporty guys because I don't touch the school's fields or courts. I'll play, for sure, but never been good enough for the teams.